Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaky AF Out. Transformer

Go down

Leaky AF Out. Transformer Empty Leaky AF Out. Transformer

Post by harold wright on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Simplex 1040 had a post about a Truetone transformer that reminded me of a problem I once found.
Can't remember name of the 1960's radio with P/P output. Sound was somewhat distorted and all the usual tests (leaky coupling cap. to output tubes, etc.) turned up nothing. I finally decided to see if B+ was leaking onto VC winding. This VC winding had both sides above ground and when I metered it to ground I found 250VDC on VC. Glad I did not touch the VC leads beforehand. Weirdest/worst case of leak. I ever encountered in an AF out. transformer.

Harold

harold wright

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Leaky AF Out. Transformer Empty Re: Leaky AF Out. Transformer

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Geez. Sounds more like a short. I had the primary of the output transformer short to chassis on a 1947 Philco radio. Almost caught fire.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by harold wright on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:Geez. Sounds more like a short. I had the primary of the output transformer short to chassis on a 1947 Philco radio. Almost caught fire.
Bill That reminded me of stories I read about repairmen in the 'thirties that had a radio with crackling/static crashes and they suspected a transformer about ready to open. They would short the output tube plate to ground for a very short time and if audio disappeared they knew for sure the transformer was bad. Seems a good transformer could stand this momentary jolt.
These stories were pub. in Radio Age from Augusta Ga (I think). Don Patterson was ed./publisher. I still miss that periodical; it stopped about 20 yrs ago. Each month they had a story about repairmen--they still had DC mains in some cities. Very interesting stories.

Harold

harold wright

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by analogdino on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:16 am

harold wright wrote:(snip)  This VC winding had both sides above ground and when I metered it to ground I found 250VDC on VC. Glad I did not touch the VC leads beforehand. Weirdest/worst case of leak. I ever encountered in an AF out. transformer.
Harold
May be just a high resistance leak if you were measuring voltage with a high resistance voltmeter.  Try a quick grounding of the VC via, say, 1 Kohm, while measuring the B+.  If it sags, you've got a short.  If no effect on B+ the transformer may still be serviceable, but perhaps not for long!  Good luck!
Cheers,
Roger.

analogdino

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:18 am

You should have seen that audio output transformer go in my 48-1201 Philco go.. When it shorted, it was with a loud pop, and, I instantly heard sizzling. Shut down. Burned my finger on melted wax of audio out. Transformer...

I have an RCA Victor model 110K radio. Help, guys, I need a good case. Mine is shot.
While restoring chassis about thirty years ago, I had distorted sound after rebuilding. This radio used PP parallel 6K6 tubes. Four of them.
Half of primary was open, other shorted..

About 23 years ago I was restoring a cathedral radio for a customer..
I had it playing on the bench, but, was getting a spitting sound through speaker. I had one hand on chassis, and, was going to pick it up on side to check voltages. Spkr. started to move, and, I grabbed it to not let it fall. I got a very strong DC shocki!!!
I let go fast, grabbed my volt meter, and, went from chassis to speaker frame, and, found 350 volts dc. Full B plus!!
Upon taking field coil off, I found a burn hole in cardboard, and, a burn spot on coil. For two weeks, I was pouring super glue in to see if I could save it. Believe it, or, not, it worked. No voltage, no crackling, no shocks, and, radio played great.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum