Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Firestone Air Chief

Go down

Firestone Air Chief Empty Firestone Air Chief

Post by texasmike325 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:07 pm

Hey folks, i just bought an Air Chief radio but it didn't have a model number listed anywhere on it. It is missing a tube but there isnt a tube diagram to tell me which tube it is. Can someone please send me a tube diagram and maybe the schematics for the radio? Here is a list of the tubes that are in it. I appreciate any help you can give me!

6J5GT
6L7
6K7
6Q7G
6K6G
6G5 Eye tube

Here is the link to the pics of the radio
https://s1361.photobucket.com/user/texasgem1977/library/

texasmike325

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-06-24

Back to top Go down

Firestone Air Chief Empty Re: Firestone Air Chief

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:32 am

From the looks of it, it looks to be missing a rectifier tube. It appears to be a 4 pin tube, and i'm just going to take a wild guess and say its probably missing an 80. I say that for 2 reasons, its missing a tube closest to the transformer and it's a 4 pin. That is usually the rectifier spot. If i'm wrong, someone will correct me.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by texasmike325 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:47 am

Hey tuberradiogeek, thanks for your response. your correct, it is missing a tube and I am still looking for a model number so i can find out which tube is supposed to be in that socket. the 4 pin socket is where the speaker plugs into. Smile

texasmike325

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:34 pm

Well at any rate you have to be missing a rectifier tube. As none of them tubes are rectifiers. The rectifier tube is what changes the AC voltage into DC voltage.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Let's get some photos of the set, someone might recognize the model.
GaryRabbitt
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Firestone Air Chief Empty Firestone

Post by mr_ed01 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:01 pm

Possibly a chassis R-307, used in models 3071 to 3079. 4 pin socket is the speaker, missing tube is a 5W4

mr_ed01

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Could also be a 5Z3. How larege is power transformer??
I would not try firing set up with a replacement rect. until it's been thoroughly been gone over, including new electrolytics, and, repla paper caps, check wiring. Also, need to make sure someone hasn't already fried the power transformer.
Sounds like a nice set.
Welcome to TRF!

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Thanks for looking. You could be right.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Firestone Air Chief Empty Identifying Firestone Air Chief model number

Post by dan88king on Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:57 pm

I looked through several of the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company Air Chief radio models on www.nostalgiaair.com, and I found that model 3079appears to match your chassis exactly. But someone seems to have made two tube substitutions, which are correct. The original tube lineup used a 6C5G for the oscillator, and a 6U7G for the I.F. amplifier. your 6J5 and 6K7 are direct substitutes. The eye tube is shown as a 6G5, more commonly marked as a 6U5/6G5 on the side of the tube. The missing tube is the rectifier, listed as a 5W4G. The more common 5Y3G or 5Y3GT is a direct substitute. My Zenith 5S119 says 5Y3G or 5W4G right on its rectifier socket. You can print out the schematic and other servicing information, such as a complete parts list, from www.nostalgiaair.org. Click on the left column top selection, resources, I think it is, to enter the schematics selection page, then on the first listing for Firestone Tire & Rubber Company. Model 3079 is on this listing. I think you will find it a match for your chassis. The tube types match with the two substitutions noted, and tube locations on the chassis match. Good luck.

Dan King

dan88king

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:40 pm

Thank you for your valuable information. We much appreciate it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Firestone Air Chief Empty Identifying other unknown radio model numbers

Post by dan88king on Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:05 pm

Glad I was able to help. It's been a number of years, but down in the Bay Area where I used to live, I would get requests for identifying unknown tube radio model numbers. The owner would make a sketch of the physical layout of the chassis, top view, with all tube types shown and other components, such as transformer, I.F. cans, tuner, etc.. I would look under the manufacturer's brand name in the Mallory-Yaxley Radio Service Encyclopedia, for listings of model numbers that had those exact types and numbers of each tube type, and write them all down. Then I would go into Rider's or Sams Photofacts (after estimating the age of the radio--Sams started in mid-1946) and look for drawings of the chassis's for those model niumbers. It rarely failed to produce the correct model number. Some Rider's schematics and servicing information do not have a tube location drawing, though, and for those all I could do was send the owner copies of the most likely model numbers. Sams Photofacts are the best, with actual chassis photographs and lines identifying everything.

Dan King

dan88king

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum