Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edison Green?

Go down

Edison Green? Empty Edison Green?

Post by Skip on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:07 am

Would like to touch up the chassis and power chassis on a couple of R8 and R7 chassis. Has anyone found a match? Something like a Forest Green semigloss?

Thanks

Skip

Skip

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Edison Green? Empty Re: Edison Green?

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:59 pm

Could you please be more specific? What is an R8 and R7 chassis out of? Inquiring mind(s) want to know!

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Opp's i meant i am working on a R7 Reciver and a 8P power unit.  I do not know what the cabinets looks like, I only have the chassis.  

Edison Green? <a href=Edison Green? Image10" />

Edison Green? <a href=Edison Green? Image11" />

Skip

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Got it. I would take your chassis to an auto paint store. They have computers that can scan the color and can mix a paint, in whatever medium you would like, that will match what you have. Might be a tad more expensive, but could yield a color more accurate.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Technically, the original color doesn't exist anymore. It's commonly called Army, or, drab green. It's medium dark, and, semi gloss.
The cabinets were walnut, with a beautiful gloss enamal finnish done in medium dark walnut.
Does your power dupply have a second socket for ac power to the phonograph? If so, the moel, was C4.
If not , it was a somewhat plainner walnut cabinet for radio only. These radios were made between 1927, and, '29, when the Edison companny quit making equipment for the home entertainment. However, I must say, at one show, I saw a very rare, too expensive original cathedral radio by Edison dating to '31, I believe. It was small, cheap, and, used a very cheaply built chassis. Yep, chassis was original. Had the usual Edison doohicky on the back of chassis that Said Thomas A Edison Incorporated, gave model of radio, and, serial numbers. That guy wanted a grand for it. Bet he never got it.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Skip on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Bill
Thanks for the reply. No both of the power units do not have the socket for the phonograph. I need to correct the title of the thread. I noticed I was typing R7 for the receivers, they both are actually 7R. One has the tone control and the other does not. I have a very good and complete copy of the Edison Radio Service Manual for the Edison-light-o-matic R4 and R5 and C-4 combination.

I will say I will be getting the electric pickup phonograph that is suppose to go with one of these units soon to look at as well. Not sure where the power unit is for that yet.

These are not my radios, I am working on these for a friend and he is refinishing my consoles and other radios for me. It is a good trade off since refinishing is my weak point and electronics is his.

Skip

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Skip, I wish I had the case, and, phono parts. I have the correct chassis' for the combination C4, but, no case, and, no phono parts.
Did you buy the tone arm off ebay? I was tempted to buy it... Even the motor was for sale at the time. No board, turntable, brake, knob, vol control, etc., though.
I used to have a C4. More commonn of the rare Ediison radio line, except the radio only sets with green chassis's. They seem to be very common.
Watch out for those sockets for phono pins from tone arm. They are on I believe 350 volts dc. They have a kick!
I have a ratty original factory mannual, but, still feel lucky, and, along with it alot of production change bulletins.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum