Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RCA portable stereo record player

4 posters

Go down

RCA portable stereo record player Empty RCA portable stereo record player

Post by PhonoBrit Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Left channel is super weak, should a recap fix this? Is there anything else that could be wrong with it?

RCA portable stereo record player OxvXKQ1

PhonoBrit

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

RCA portable stereo record player Empty Re: RCA portable stereo record player

Post by 75X11 Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Can you put in a signal on that sing along microphone socket?  If it is binaural, it would make a great alternate  source to check the amp itself.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:44 pm

You might have a cartridge going bad.
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Is this stereo tube or SS?  I don't see anything saying Solid State, so may we assume tubes?  I don't have service lit for it, so that is the first thing to do.  Then I would test the tubes, do a recap, and then troubleshoot.  Could have a bad tube, bad cap, drifted resistor, bad cartridge, dirty/corroded/faulty connection, bad needle, dirty volume/balance and/or tone controls.  The list goes on.  Guided by the schematic, and following your VTVM and other diagnostic equipment, you need to systematically troubleshoot the electronics and find out what is causing the left channel to be weak.  Solid State diagnostics would follow the same basic path as tube diagnostics without tubes, of course.  And with more electrolytic caps to change. Then you will need to service the changer so that it will operate dependably for another 50 years.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by PhonoBrit Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:38 pm

75X11 wrote:Can you put in a signal on that sing along microphone socket?  If it is binaural, it would make a great alternate  source to check the amp itself.

Great idea. Tested through the mic socket, left channel is still super weak and right channel is nice and strong.

PhonoBrit

Back to top Go down

Post by PhonoBrit Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:Is this stereo tube or SS?  I don't see anything saying Solid State, so may we assume tubes?  I don't have service lit for it, so that is the first thing to do.  Then I would test the tubes, do a recap, and then troubleshoot.  Could have a bad tube, bad cap, drifted resistor, bad cartridge, dirty/corroded/faulty connection, bad needle, dirty volume/balance and/or tone controls.  The list goes on.  Guided by the schematic, and following your VTVM and other diagnostic equipment, you need to systematically troubleshoot the electronics and find out what is causing the left channel to be weak.  Solid State diagnostics would follow the same basic path as tube diagnostics without tubes, of course.  And with more electrolytic caps to change. Then you will need to service the changer so that it will operate dependably for another 50 years.

Regards

WC

Tube powered. Already cleaned all the pots out.

PhonoBrit

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:55 pm

If you have weak output on the left using the alternate input, and the pot is functional, that leaves the amp in, to the speaker(s) for the left channel. Try to dig up some lit for it online.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum