Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back Panel Straightening?

Go down

Back Panel Straightening? Empty Back Panel Straightening?

Post by Ragwire on Mon May 20, 2013 5:07 pm

Hello all, I am wondering if there is a way to flatten out an old warped masonite or similar material back panel. The original ink is in good shape, tube layout, model number, etc., but the panel is warped. Can it be steamed and pressed flate between heavy books or something while it cools and dries? I can remove the loop antenna and rivet it back on, but need to know if I have a shot at flattening it before all that work...

Thanks!
Rob
Ragwire
Ragwire

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Back Panel Straightening? Empty Re: Back Panel Straightening?

Post by GaryRabbitt on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:49 am

Sure. It go warped by moisture, so you can reset it back with moisture.
Are you sure it is masonite and not pressed paper fiber?
Tempered Masonite is pretty had stuff.
If it were mine, I'd wet the backside (without the printing) and let it soak in for a bit. Make sue it has soaked in enough water.
Common thoughts are to lay it flat, then apply weight. That might work, but when dry it still might spring back have a slight warp.
I'd suggest to "overbend" the back, slightly in the other direction. That way, when it has fully dried it will spring back to flat.

Depending on where the loop is, you could add in one strip of hardwood to the inside. That would act as an anchor to help stiffen the back in place. A strip like 1/4" x 1/2" will do. Glue the 1/4" thickness to the back (inside). If the loop is in the middle, you could glue in two strips above and below the loop.

Simply wetting, then drying it might be good enough though. Don't forget to go a little beyond flat, so when you remove any weights, it springs back flat.

GaryRabbitt
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:54 am

I got it by doing similar to what you say, but using steam. Water might work better though. I was afraid it would come apart but it was OK.
Ragwire
Ragwire

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum