Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transmitting antenna

Go down

Transmitting antenna Empty Transmitting antenna

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat May 18, 2013 11:25 pm

Just came across an ad on CL that says CB antenna, but when i looked at the pic it looks like a VHF/2 meter antenna. It is a Hy-gain VR2 878630 according to the label. It also says coil assembly. So my questions are, is that in fact a CB antenna or is a VHF/2 meter antenna and what is something like that worth? It comes with 50 ft of coax, i'd guess either RG58 or RG8 or 8 mini. The description just says CB antenna w/ 50 ft coax, make offer.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Transmitting antenna Empty Re: Transmitting antenna

Post by oldgoaly on Sun May 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Ben
look here http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/231 a review of the antenna. people would ask me who I talked to on my CB radio, I'd tell them just about anyone who can work the Doppler shift off the Russian satellites..... boy would that get some interesting looks!
oldgoaly
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon May 20, 2013 1:17 am

I seen it stated 144-148 Mhz, but i also read that some guys have the same antenna but for different freqs. Which is why i was wandering if there was a slight possibility there could be a 10,11 or 10/11 meter combo version. I actually know a guy that used to do similar things with his CB many years ago.. Lets just say he had a very modified radio and a lot of power to back up his modified radio.. Enough to where if you ticked him off he could come within a few feet of your house and drown out any audio/video equipment you have..
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Mon May 20, 2013 4:14 pm

most of them can be modified for Mars or public service bands, tuning is more critical on transmit. I used a CB antenna on 10 mtrs with an antenna tuner with no problems. Back in the early days of packet radio, I work a whole bunch of North America thru HC5K in Ecuador, then actually met Ted at Dayton hamfest. I don't know how many people attended, but bumped into him recognized his call and he recognized mine. Some interesting people are Ham radio operators!
oldgoaly
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum