Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Epoxy Putty to fix Styrene/Bakelite?

Go down

Epoxy Putty to fix Styrene/Bakelite? Empty Epoxy Putty to fix Styrene/Bakelite?

Post by Dave Allen on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:45 am

I have a styrene radio with about a 1" per side triangle broken broken out of the back edge of the case. I was thinking of gluing a sheet of plastic inside the case, filling the gap with Loctite epoxy putty, and repainting it. I'm wondering if the putty is really soft enough to sand easily or any other recommendations.

Any thoughts?

Dave Allen

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-01-13

Back to top Go down

Epoxy Putty to fix Styrene/Bakelite? Empty Re: Epoxy Putty to fix Styrene/Bakelite?

Post by bill57 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:49 pm

I've had pretty good results using JB Weld to repair broken areas. I try to cut a piece to fit the area, scuff the existing plastic and the new piece on the inside to rough it up. Use JB Weld to glue in place letting it sit over night. Then it can be sanded and primed. Any voids can the be filled with spot putty, resanded and primed. ( Do not use the quick set JB Weld)

bill57

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Epoxy Putty to fix Styrene/Bakelite? Empty Re: Epoxy Putty to fix Styrene/Bakelite?

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:06 pm

I have used both superglue and epoxy putty in repairs. If you use epoxy of any type, make sure you mix it well. if not, it will have a slightly gummy surface that will be difficult to sand properly. Here is a third option for a chunk missing from a flat edge. Use some release agent to prevent adhesion and make a mold by applying some silicone rubber to a similar unaffected area as big as the void and have it overhang the edge itself. Then you have a mold to tape over the void, with a dam to create the new edge and you could use a more liquid epoxy to fill the void and work into the void's edges.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Allen on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:45 pm

OOH! - I like the mold idea and I could have done that but I've done something like Ken g suggested. Being styrene it glues well with MEK and old style model glue. I might even make my own filler with plastic dissolved in MEK. I hadn't thought about the disaster of improperly cured epoxy.

Dave Allen

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:54 pm

I have tried such plastic solutions, and they usually either result in a soft tacky patch, or a crumbly patch. The plastics usually have an elastomer blended in that is removed with solvents. When you see a plastic deteriorate with age, it is oft times because of the changes in their elastomer. Keep the mold idea in your bag of tricks. I've used it in the repair of 3D slide viewers, and it will work with radio cabinets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:57 pm

P.S. Be careful with that MEK, it can remove the elastomer from ones' brain, too! Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:36 am

Dave, I"ve always used fiberglass resin, and back upp any repair larger in the inside. Cnamfering the cracked edge helps in gradually transitioning the repair into place. 2 90 degree surfaces don't have strength and will probably crack soon.
I use the resin on styrene plastic, and Bakelite too.
Here is a Truetone Boomerang set I repaired using it. Building a masking tape 'dam' to overlfow the missing piece, then shaping it with files, then sandpaper.
Come oto think now, I think I saw your post on Facebook, right Smile
I will post this link to the Truetone anyhow, to add to the method base of repair.
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72885

GaryRabbitt
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum