Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cable channels on an antique CRT television set

Go down

Cable channels on an antique CRT television set Empty Cable channels on an antique CRT television set

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Okay, you antique tv guru dudes, here is a newbie (to tv) type question.

How do I get cable channels above channel 13 on an old tv set? I am seriously considering getting an older, circa 1950-ish, tv set working to complement my radio collection. I have been dinking with radios for over 40 years, but tv sets scare me like lots of other guys, I guess. That nasty high voltage and all. But I have tentatively decided to "take the plunge" and see if I can find one and actually make it work. On satellite, I have a box and I change the channel with the satellite receiver. So there would be no problem using one of the older sets with satellite. With cable, there is no box. So how would I get cable channels without the box? Can I use one of those converters that you use with antenna to get cable channels? I am looking at an old RCA tv and my wife thinks that I would be unhappy if all I could watch was the VCR. She may have a point. There were UHF converters made in those days, but I would like to be able to avoid using one if a more modern alternative is available.

Thanks for your input.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Cable channels on an antique CRT television set Empty Re: Cable channels on an antique CRT television set

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:07 pm

You simply need some sort of external converter or tuner...period.

Something needs to be able to decode or tune the cable and then send it out via VHF to channel 3 or 4 something the old tv is capable of tuning.
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Cable channels on an antique CRT television set Empty Re: Cable channels on an antique CRT television set

Post by mr_ed01 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:56 pm

Could route the cable through an old cable-ready VCR then watch TV channel 3 or 4.

mr_ed01

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:11 pm

mr_ed01 wrote:Could route the cable through an old cable-ready VCR then watch TV channel 3 or 4.

Yes, you are correct...but again...you still have that "middle man" to do the work. Very Happy
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:49 pm

Could route the cable through an old cable-ready VCR then watch TV channel 3 or 4.

Yes that would be a good solution and certainly cheap enough. The VCR could be stripped down to the modulator section and wouldn't take up much real estate.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum