Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Electric getting hung up on auto return

Go down

General Electric getting hung up on auto return Empty General Electric getting hung up on auto return

Post by PhonoBrit Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:01 pm

I have replaced the idler wheel and cleaned and lubed the mechanism on this GE unit but it still gets hung up on the auto return cycle. Is there a specific part of the mechanism that is typically at fault on these units?

Here is a picture of offending unit

https://i.imgur.com/HSaXfM4.jpg

PhonoBrit

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

General Electric getting hung up on auto return Empty Re: General Electric getting hung up on auto return

Post by Wildcat445 Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:28 pm

I realize that I am going to get crucified for this, but I will share my tried and true method of record changer repair. It is ugly, but works 100% of the time, without fail.

Whenever I get a changer that does not want to work properly, I pull the changer out of its cabinet, remove the motor and all the drive components, along with the turntable. I wrap the tone arm and cartridge in plastic for protection. Then I squirt the dickens out of the entire mechanical part, (the bottom) of the thing with WD-40, or, in extreme cases, PB Blaster. Then I let it set for one week. I walk by it and give it another good squirt. After the week is over, I blow it out really well with air. Not aggressively enough to blow out small parts, just enough to blow out what ails it. Then I squirt the entire bottom mechanical stuff with white grease. Re-install the motor, wash the wheel (s) with lacquer thinner, then lightly sand with 1200 sandpaper. Clean the rim of the platter with lacquer thinner, re-install the motor (after it is cleaned and lubed). Viola! Done. Works perfectly every time. No disassembly. No tinkering or cussing. If it ever worked, it will again. This, of course, is assuming that nothing is broken or missing. If anything is broken or missing, it goes into File 13 in its entirety. All that taking stuff apart and praying it will work when you put it back together is for the birds. The simple way is the best way for me. Do it the hard way if you wish. Your results may vary. I may be all wet and others may feel free point that out.

Record changers, church organs and guitar amps are things that I have no business fooling with!

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

General Electric getting hung up on auto return Empty Re: General Electric getting hung up on auto return

Post by PhonoBrit Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks Wildcat.

PhonoBrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:39 pm

The above tried and true methodology does not work, nor is it recommended for Philco D-10 changers. They go into a box in my junk room forthwith. They were junk when new, and time has not been their friend. This is why BSR changers were invented. Your results may vary. I may be all wet, again, and others may feel free to point that out.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by PhonoBrit Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:46 pm

BSR's are easy to fix compared to these GE units. BSR's always fail the same way.

PhonoBrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum