Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about glue used to hold grill cloth in place

Go down

Question about glue used to hold grill cloth in place Empty Question about glue used to hold grill cloth in place

Post by btse6 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:52 am

I've been registered with this forum for some time but have rarely visited pale . Old habits die hard, I guess. So, for 2013 I thought I'd try to be a more regular visitor and start by asking this question.

I'm working on a mid-1930s cabinet from a Sparton wood table-top. I need to remove the grill cloth, but glue was liberally brushed around the inside of the speaker opening (by the factory) to tack it in place. I was wondering if there's a solvent, or at least a softener/partial solvent, that would allow me to carefully remove the grill cloth. Of course, 1) we'd need to know what they used for furniture glue, and 2) it would have to be a product that wouldn't damage or discolor the cloth.

Any thoughts?

Tom

btse6

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Question about glue used to hold grill cloth in place Empty Re: Question about glue used to hold grill cloth in place

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:45 pm

If you are trying to remove the cloth without ruinning it, I'd reccommend forgetting that. Add the the gllue the age, and, probable deteriation of the fabric, I'd say the chances of saving the original are not very good.
Welcome to TRF.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Question about glue used to hold grill cloth in place Empty Re: Question about glue used to hold grill cloth in place

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Bill is right on this. However....

The glue used "back in the day" was animal based. You may have heard the old saying that an old horse "is headed for the glue factory." The glue used to hold the grill cloth on will probably come loose with a steam iron. I have done this a couple times where the fabric was in exceptional condition. Your chances of removing old grill cloth successfully and being able to re-use it is extremely slim. It will surely have faded where it is exposed to light, and be unfaded where it is covered by the cabinet. It will likely be rotted from age. Something "close" should be available and acceptable to replace the old cloth.

With a wood cabinet, you should use caution that you do not use enough steam to dissolve the same animal glue holding the plywood of the cabinet together when you attempt to steam the grill cloth to remove it. Delaminating the cabinet trying to salvage a worthless piece of cloth would, indeed, be a major bummer. Good luck.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by btse6 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Thanks to both of you. BTW, I'm old enough to remember horses headed to the glue factory Wink .

If steaming causes delamination, that would actually be a plus. The cabinet has areas of delamination where a certain amount of disassembly would make the restoration easier, believe it or not. Anyway, I'll give it a shot and see what happens with the grill cloth.

I'd post a photo but haven't gotten around to learning how to do that yet. But I will in due course.

Tom

btse6

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by TimC on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:33 pm

I use vinegar as it dissolves the glue. I believe its a 50/50 vinegar and water mix.
TimC
TimC

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:00 pm

Anytime I get an old glue that doesn't behave normally I resort to kerosene. Most of these old ones seem to crystalise and fall part easily after a careful brush-applied kerosene coat. I use a lamp-oil my wife gave me from the lamps we have for power outages. Smells like bubble gum to me. (works wonders on RTV also)

I am going out to shop in a minute and will check my Gunk to Glow/Furniture Doctor texts. George Grotz has a way of dealing with odd stuff. I highly recommend his old books should you find them.
Tony
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:40 pm

If you use liquids on the cloth it will soak in and stain it . Hot irons do not stain . A fire will also remove the cloth

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:48 am

I can remember hide glue in wood shop and art classes, they always had it in a electric pot to keep it hot. That worked pretty good on wood projects and fabrics that you wanted to glue.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 911

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:37 am

After steaming the cloth off the backing, with table model size grille cloths, I wash them in the washer, sandwiching them between a couple sheets of this material. I've had good results using a spray of 3parts Tide liquid to water. I saturate it and wash on delicate and cold.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/clear-7-count-ultra-stiff-plastic-canvas-sheet-161422/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:11 pm

The problem washing old grille cloth is that it shrinks quite a bit .

Ken g

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:42 am

Washing them in the support has held down the shrinkage pretty well. After partially drying in a rolled up dish towel, I give it a light pressing and that draws out the fabric near to the original dimension. It loses less of it's dimension to fraying, also.

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:24 am

After reading these posts on removing the cloth I am wondering something. Has anyone tried these spray on cans that is suppose to be like dry cleaning? Or what about the spray on cleaners for carpet then lightly vacuum the cloth?

willy3486

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:54 pm

I've been around glues and solvents my entire life and they all act differently. Each person develops different techniques and uses different supplies to achieve this. I'd suggest some experimentation. I use a microwave for debonding many glues. I'm careful because some can react in dramatic fashion but I've saved many projects with some educated nuking.

I have had a lot of success using a q-tip and kerosene on just about any glue that has a flexible component to it (other than epoxy). If used sparingly and carefully it crystallizes and falls apart. I never put enough on it to soak in and the few times it did I was able to remove most of it with ispropyll alcohol. I see the mention of vinegar. I think this is similar.

It pays to experiment if you can do it. "Technique" trumps absolutes. Use the radios that come in that are going straight to the parts shelf. It's our envelope. Push it.

Tony
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Any cloth i have washed in water all shrunk just enough so it would not cover the grille anymore . If i try to stretch it or pull on it , it tends to rip . I find the back side of some of it looks real good so fliping it over works good at times without washing

Ken g

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:34 pm

The cloth that doesn't shrink and is pretty aged, will likely fall apart on you. Even some good looking cloth I thought I could very gently wash, literally fell apart Crying or Very sad
Some speaker boards, the cloth will actually lift right off of the glue. It's all a crapshoot, you will have to analyze each situation.

If the cloth is basically ok except for a hanging corner or edge, your best bet would be to glue it back down and leave it alone. If it's filthy and torn, you're gonna need new cloth anyhow.
GaryRabbitt
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Walker on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:18 am

I had posted the same question on the Philco phorum and the reply was to use the vinegar and water 50/50 solution.. I have a Rogers 10-12
and that solution did a fine job. just get the area wet where the glue is , wait a few minutes and the grill cloth will come off easily.
If it does not come off soak it with more solution and wait a little longer.. it worked fine for me .. It might depend on the type of glue that was
used.. I believe that on my 10-12 it was hide glue.

Dan Walker

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2015-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:41 am

Well, vinegar is a mild acid. I can see where it might work. Thanks for sharing. Just be careful how wet you get the board..... Those are also plywood held together with liquid hyde glue.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:48 pm

willy3486 wrote:After reading these posts on removing the cloth I am wondering something. Has anyone tried these spray on cans that is suppose to be like dry cleaning? Or what about the spray on cleaners for carpet then lightly vacuum the cloth?

the dry cleaning sprays and pastes are usually solvents with an absorbent material mixed with it. The solvent saturates the cloth dissolving what it can, mostly oil based stain material, then the absorbent soaks up the stain material as it dries. Then you brush off the absorbent.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum