Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clock Motor Lubrication

Go down

Clock Motor Lubrication Empty Clock Motor Lubrication

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 pm

I was reading about the procedure to lubricate the sealed rotor assemblies used with electric clocks and I remembered seeing small hand operated vacuum pumps sold to test automotive engine vacuum systems. a vacuum sealed jar could be used with one and make a small low vacuum chamber to evacuate the air from the sealed assembly and then allow it to draw the oil in without having to heat it and take the time waiting for it to cool. Northern tool and Harbor Freight sell such pumps. It bwill probably be some time before I restore a clock movement, so I thought I would put forth the idea.

Back to top Go down

Clock Motor Lubrication Empty Re: Clock Motor Lubrication

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:32 am

You could carefully drill a very tiny hole in the case of the gear assembly, making sure NOT to let the drill bit hit the gears inside that assembly, and, put in some good quality oil, shake it well, and, let it lie for a day. Carefully attempt to turn the drive gear. If it turns, put assembly back together, and, try. Usually, this will fix it, and, motor will be fine. The problem is the oil inside gums up, and, gears seize.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 pm

I used to do rebuilds on alert monitors that had pots that were not practical to open up. I would drill two small holes in their cases, inject cleaner into them and use canned air to get most of the liquid out. then lightly heat with a heat gun. That would restore the pot's function in most cases.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:14 pm

I would always have a number of the spray tubes and would take a piece of wire of the inside tube diameter, slide a piece inside and heat the plastic to soft. You can then twist the plastic on the wire into an hourglass, and cut it at the center and slide the wire out. It would make a nice fine point on the tube.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:15 pm

out

Last edited by Ken g on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Many of the pots that I would drill would have had a greater chance of damage with the larger bits that would accomodate an unaltered tube. It was a simple and quick mod for the tube and that enabled me to use a 1mm drill.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:02 pm

Tried one of my new .6 mm bits on the housing of a burned relay.

Clock Motor Lubrication P1000337yc

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:15 am

I've been using a secondary method to the one I wrote about on my site, much faster, but needs a write-up and I can't upload to my web space due to technical issues. It does involve opening a hole in the rotor--I still prefer keeping them 100 % factory sealed.
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by mistercarter on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Re: Telechron sealed clock motors. I have had great success silencing and rejuvenating sealed motor modules by drilling a small hole in the top of the case (relative to the drive gear) and introducing graphited lock fluid. I applied this technique more than twenty years ago to my father's 1953 Crosley E75, and the clock remains silent and accurate to this day.

mistercarter

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum