Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bakelite radio, painted or not

Go down

Bakelite radio, painted or not Empty Bakelite radio, painted or not

Post by Ben Delk on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:26 pm

I see Bakelite radios all the time that have been painted or re-painted. When looking at the inside you can see it is a completely different color than the original. I tend to move right on past them and they always seem to have scrathes in the paint where you can see the original color. Or I find one with a crack or broken place that needs repairing which leaves one no choice but to repaint. What are your thoughts on painting, repainting or purchasing these painted items?

Ben
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Bakelite radio, painted or not Empty Re: Bakelite radio, painted or not

Post by Ken g on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:11 pm

I used to , not anymore unless its a real rare one , or if it seems to have that silly ''marbling'' in the baelite Idea

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:02 pm

The paint, or lack thereof on a bakelite radio would make no difference to me. Cabinet condition is more important. I have repaired and repainted bakelite radio cabinets that had large chunks missing. To me, its like buying an old car and not expecting to have to do body work and paint on it. I buy what I like and expect to have to do some work on it. That is the fun of the hobby for me. Taking some old abandoned piece of junk and turning it back into a usable item again.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:44 pm

I have repaired 2 bakelite cabinets using either bondo or JB Weld and then painted the original color, then 4 layers of lacquer. They both turned out pretty well. The new paints made for plastic seem to work pretty well but I'm wondering if automotive lacquer would produce a harder more lasting finish. Not sure why I'm so particular about Bakelite being all original when I'll strip and refinish wood cabinets at the drop of a hat. I have passed on many Bakelite radios that would have had lots of potential but something just keeps saying don't buy one if it is not the factory finish. Guess I need to re-think that.

Thanks guys,
Ben
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:13 pm

Hi i stay away from painted ones myself.Ijust tend to like the factory finish.Afew painted ones i have seen do stand out tho.Sprman

sprman

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:32 am

I buy what I can afford and that usually means the ones off Ebay are the ones with a crack or heavy scratches. It seems the "plug n play" bakelites stay at too high of a price. If the crack is too bad and needs repaired on an unpainted bakelite cabinet I'll repaint it to a color that is representative of the era. Maybe the reason I have so many ivory colored painted bakelite sets? I have "hot-rodded" a few with some red and blue.

If the original paint is too scratched up I will repaint to the original color as close as I can.

Here is my first purchase of the year an Arvin with a crack and some paint chips. I liked the stylling and $22 total w/shipping makes it affordable for me. I will fix the crack then repaint in ivory. Black metal grill may need to be repainted black too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arvin-Radio-853T-/130830592800?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=BbmM6VaYuzdA72LBgLdn33mGKd8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:32 am

Although I have a formal education in electronics I lack the working experience that most of you have so I'll ask here about this RCA bakelite radio;

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Vintage-Bakelite-Radio-RCA-VICTOR-1940-s-Model-56X-Works-Well/86378051?gpid=41917135501&gpkwd=&goog_pla=1&gclid=CLzE7-Du7LQCFYLd4AodPkYA5g

I found one just like this (painted white) for $45. The case is in great shape as well as the back cover. The paint looks factory to me because the label on the bottom looks to be placed after painting. It has a new cord and plays well, but without taking it apart I have no idea if it's been re-capped. It doesn't have the cabinet ruined with that stupid handle on top. I believe I can get this for $40. What do you all think?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:47 am

Not crazy about that handle on top but I'd say jump on any radio that plays for $40. Not sure about the paint but it sounds resonable it could be original. I had this radio's first cousin (RCA Q10, two knob) and it was a great little radio.
Until recently I did not know the Philco made the 38-12 in Red and one in white.

Ben
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:23 am

I can't say buy it or not mezlaw. But I give you the same advice I do others as to what I do. on stuff. Do not look to radios as investments. I bought most of my radios back in the mid 80s. They are now getting to where I would make a small profit if I sold any . I look at radios to buy with the mentality if I would enjoy it. So would you enjoy it? Also on the case you might could find one someone had from one that had the chassis rusted or shot. I see a lot of ones out there of a similar design.

I have a couple of similar size, they may be RCA. One had a wooden case that was shot but good chassis. I found a similar one with a good bakelite case but the chassis was shot from rust. I plan to piece the two together. They have the same chassis if I remember. You may even post a case wanted here and other sites.

As far as painting I have a few that were. I have a belmont they call the rabbit that has the bakelite but I passed on one identical that was painted white originally. If I had a radio that was busted but I got it going I would have no issues with painting it. But I personally wouldn't take a good case and paint it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:46 am

Thanks for the feedback. The radio I linked to is not the one I'm looking to buy. Not only does that handle look dumb, but it has to put a lot of stress on the cabinet when carried by it. I also agree that most of these radios would be for personal enjoyment and should never be considered an investment. I don't see any profit at this time as most people don't want to pay what it would cost in re-capping a radio. I'm used to an $85 per hour labor charge for what I do, that is not going fly with repairing these radios.

I find may radios with damaged cabinets for about $5 that accually play. I buy those for parts since I'm not much on restoring cabinets unless they are wood.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:02 am

It's a nice radio. Fairly common. Will need wiring checked. Alot of rubber in it.
Yah, that handle looks hideous.
Alot of RCA radios came both ways, including this model. Plain, or, painted.
As a whole the RCA radios play well.
I'd totally re cap it, though.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:52 pm

The best return on the investment I have made in this hobby is personal satisfaction. Expecting much more invites frustration.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:31 pm

And, that's as it should be.............
Congrats..........
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:52 pm

19&41 wrote:The best return on the investment I have made in this hobby is personal satisfaction. Expecting much more invites frustration.

Very well said! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:25 am

+1 on comment regarding ROI. I like the bakelites. I like the stylings that came out and most are relatively simple to electronically restore. As I tell people regarding my electronics restoration knowledge: "I know enough not to burn the house down".
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:40 am

ChrisH664 wrote:+1 on comment regarding ROI. I like the bakelites. I like the stylings that came out and most are relatively simple to electronically restore. As I tell people regarding my electronics restoration knowledge: "I know enough not to burn the house down".

Now, that sounds scary... Shocked Embarassed
Bill Cahill Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: