Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finding LP records

3 posters

Go down

Finding LP records Empty Finding LP records

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:43 pm

I stopped at our local SPCA rummage sale today and found about 10 milk crates filled with LP's. Any LP was $2 and most were in great shape. I thought I would pass this on as a possible place for those of you who are looking for records.

Back to top Go down

Finding LP records Empty Re: Finding LP records

Post by N7ZAL Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm not a record collector. However I have heard that the condition on the grooves is paramount and if the dust jacket/cover is in fine shape that is a major plus. Of course the artist is a major factor.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by orthophonio Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:24 pm

I've been to alot of thrift stores in alot of cities around the US digging for records over the past few years. I'm always optimistic walking in but nine times out of ten I roll snake eyes. There are those isolated jackpot moments though like when I found a near mint copy of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's controversial 'Two Virgins' for a dollar at a Salvation Army on Long Island a few years back. Things like that are the exception not the rule. More often I'll find a mildly exciting score like I did last week at the same Salvation Army. Found two really nice original stereo copies of Sinatra ('September of My Years' and 'That's Life') and a nice 45 of Julie London 'Cry Me a River' and Brenda Lee 'Eventually'. Overall, thrift stores like Goodwill and SA are extremely hit or miss. I feel like these days people are so savvy about what has value and what doesn't that I imagine the people working inventory check-in at these thrift stores put the good items aside for themselves, buy them at an employee discount (that is, if they're honest) and put the trash LPs out on the sales floor. Can you blame them? My consistently best scores though are at the flea markets (the few left) in my area. I have a long list of great finds but off the top of my head I have found really nice, really cheap copies of things like a rare Beatles 'Magical Mystery Tour' in MONO, and several singles by Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Roy Orbison all on the Sun label. That's exciting, but what would be really exciting would be to find some Elvis on Sun but I'm still on the hunt for that.

orthophonio

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 pm

I've bought 3 used albums. When I was 14, I found a copy of the Glenn Miller 'For The Very First Time' set in mint condition. I still Have it. About 20 years ago at a flea market, I found a copy of Miller's 'Limited Edition Vol.2' in a pile of all kinds of stuff. I went there the next weekend for fun, and dug out the volume 1 album. Both sets mint. I still have them, but don't play them, as most of the recordings are available on CD and I enjoy the content more than the medium.

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:58 pm

My grandfather owned a skating rink in the 1920's. My father kept wooden crates of his 78's until he got tired of them taking up space in the basement. He took all of them to the dump. Shocked Shocked
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm

That is what is known as attrition. It makes what is left more expensive. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:13 pm

N7ZAL wrote:My grandfather owned a skating rink in the 1920's. My father kept wooden crates of his 78's until he got tired of them taking up space in the basement. He took all of them to the dump. Shocked Shocked

UGH!! I shiver the thought. 20's eh? 20's labels? Sigh!!!!! Don't think for a second there'd be a few 1920's blues 78's in that dump?
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:47 pm

19&41 wrote:That is what is known as attrition. It makes what is left more expensive. Very Happy

Yes this is true, as a very young boy in the 1950's I had a lot of baseball cards that are worth thousands of dollars today. Why? Because mine and most of the guys like me lost them, put them in bicycle spokes, or through them away!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum