Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeping The Weller Soldering Gun At Hand

Go down

Keeping The Weller Soldering Gun At Hand Empty Keeping The Weller Soldering Gun At Hand

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:09 am

With its fast and intense heat, the the 8200 type iron is a must for most peoples workbench, but it can take up a lot of it's surface. A while back, I worked out a way to keep it out of the way, but ready for use. I took a bit of brass rod and bent it over a socket, then bent the legs it formed at right angles, as you can see in the first picture. I then ground semi circular notches in both halves of the irons' housing at the rear. I then slid a piece of insulation over the brass 'eye' to keep the 'eye' from moving around where it passed through the housing. I then got a heavy cup hook and put it into the underside of the bench, so I could hang the iron parallel to a bench leg with the grip easy to grab.

Keeping The Weller Soldering Gun At Hand P1000262wy

Back to top Go down

Keeping The Weller Soldering Gun At Hand Empty Re: Keeping The Weller Soldering Gun At Hand

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:13 am

The 'eye' in place, note how the insulation holds it in place on the housing wall.

Keeping The Weller Soldering Gun At Hand P1000263j

Back to top Go down

Keeping The Weller Soldering Gun At Hand Empty Re: Keeping The Weller Soldering Gun At Hand

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:18 am

The finished unit, ready to hang.

Keeping The Weller Soldering Gun At Hand P1000265j

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Cool beans like that.They do take up space.Have to try that and see how it goes.Sprman

sprman

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:08 pm

I also set my garage gun up in nearly the same manner, except instead of using the insulation, I formed rings around the "eye" with wire, and soldered them into place.where it passes through the housing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:40 pm

You can simply hang these guns through the tip

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:09 am

Geezzz. I think I need to hang mine. It keeps falling on the floor. First, I broke the back of the case. Now, I found another chunk missing near the pilot light. Geez, I'm hard on them. Sad
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:33 am

Ken g wrote:You can simply hang these guns through the tip

Let me know how that works out for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Though the occasional user may not experience the same issues that commercial users see, I still wouldn't recommend hanging a Weller by the tip. As the tip wears, the metal gets thinner as is subject to breaking, which may be exacerbated by hanging from a hook. If it's going to break, it will do it when you hang it up, & Murphy's Law dictates that a hot, falling soldering gun will land in your lap.

The other major problem is the screws or nuts that are used to tighten the tip tend to loosen as they heat & cool, which causes poor connection or on the extreme side, the tip falling out. Hanging from the tip may speed up this process.

So from my point of view, the best bet is a well placed hook on the back or use some industrial strength Velcro (on the handle only, where it won't get hot) & stick it to the wall.
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:37 pm

Agreed and I have some experience doing that as a kid. Shocked
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Here is the setup on my bench.

Keeping The Weller Soldering Gun At Hand P1000327ge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:44 pm

OK,.....I'm going to work on another solution and post back if it works. Like Bill, I have a big chunk of the case that broke off from dropping the gun, I did keep it and glue it back. Does any know where to get a new case? The case on the news guns looks like it will fit, has anyone tried to change one? Mine is an 8200N I bought new in 1968 or 1969.

BTW;
I think 19&41 has a good solution and I'm glad he started this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Found this:

http://www.tequipment.net/Weller8200RH.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum