Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pin socket cleaning

Go down

pin socket cleaning Empty pin socket cleaning

Post by Ben Delk on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:45 am

I'm not sure if any of you have ever used disposalble mascara brushes for cleaning pin socket but they work really well. My wife was doing her daily makeup routine and that gave me the thought to try one. The stiff handle and brush size make these a nice tool and can be used several times. Also beats the heck out of pipe cleaners. Give'em a try, I think you'll like the result.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-PCS-Disposable-Eyelash-Mini-Brush-Mascara-Wands-Applicator-Spoolers-Makeup-/310383778409?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4844509a69
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

pin socket cleaning Empty Re: pin socket cleaning

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:59 pm

That looks like a great idea, but I don't want to get caught buying them!....LOL
lol!

I guess I can get Dana to pick them up for me!

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:43 pm

I use bright red fingernail polish to recoat dial pointers. Best thing I have used to recoat them. Of course get the better half to get them like Mezlaw says.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:01 pm

Interesting..... Very Happy
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:36 am

I use welding tip cleaners.

Google them and you will see that thet come in many sizes, which can be used on nearly all tube socket lugs.

Find the right thickness for the socket lug in front of you and then push them in and out two or three times. Any oxidation and other crud will be removed.
Ron Pond
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnnysan on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:56 am

Just ordered a hundred. I'll tell you how they work out.

Johnnysan

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:59 pm

The welding tip cleaners will work, but they are like little files and could wear through the plating on the socket pins. I have used them before though, but found they were cutting beyond the plating. Even with a gentle insertion.

I've used the mascara brushes with good results. I insert one into the Makita, and add a drop of contact cleaner to the brush. Spin it up slowly, and down in the socket hole , and you're done.

For the smaller sockets, I use a sharp thin-pointed piece of hardwood dowell. Gently spinning in the contact with a little cleaner on the wood. Just a second of cleaning is all that's needed, don't overdo it.
GaryRabbitt
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by codefox on Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:31 pm

I have one pack of (smoke) pipe cleaners left, dunno if they can still be had? Old timers used to spray contact cleaner in socket and insert/remove tube about 6 times (10 if nasty) and that was it, mostly. You could pull dental floss through with a slim sewing needle on some sockets too.

You can beg an old dental pick from your dentist or hygienist to help retention contacts, but arcing, traces, or splits really call for a replacement socket. Realy ancient overheated cruddy phenolic wafer sockets in the rectifier/output positions are best retired for long term reliability in a serious restoration.

codefox

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by codefox on Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:32 pm

I have one pack of (smoke) pipe cleaners left, dunno if they can still be had? Old timers used to spray contact cleaner in socket and insert/remove tube about 6 times (10 if nasty) and that was it, mostly. You could pull dental floss through with a slim sewing needle on some sockets too.

You can beg an old dental pick from your dentist or hygienist to help retention contacts, but arcing, traces, or splits really call for a replacement socket. Realy ancient overheated cruddy phenolic wafer sockets in the rectifier/output positions are best retired for long term reliability in a serious restoration.

codefox

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:31 pm

I've used these brushes for a long tome now tor cleaning in tight spaces.  They also work well for cleaning out tarnished or lint-y mini earphone jacks.  they work well using isopropyl alcohol as the solvent.

http://www.amazon.com/Butler-Go-Betweens-Cleaners-8-ea/dp/B00126DM2E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1412731587&sr=8-4&keywords=butler+dental+brushes
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

pin socket cleaning Empty tube pin cleaning

Post by rparsh on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:59 pm

I was in Harbor Freight one day and found steel cleaning brushes for spray paint guns. They come on a ring of assorted sizes from too small to too big. Perfect for those old wafer 7 and 9 pin socket contacts.

rparsh

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Dale H. Cook on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:12 am

I use micro brushes and Deoxit D5. The brushes come in 1mm, 2mm and 3mm sizes:

https://www.amazon.com/Microbrush-Applicator-Brushes-Disposable-WindMax/dp/B00QWGCU0Y/ref=pd_sim_194_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00QWGCU0Y&pd_rd_r=97VEVSK4CWF8VK35EK53&pd_rd_w=Wq8ji&pd_rd_wg=FzQTi&psc=1&refRID=97VEVSK4CWF8VK35EK53
Dale H. Cook
Dale H. Cook

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum