Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SW tower

Go down

SW tower Empty SW tower

Post by willy3486 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:00 am

I just picked up three sections of a rohm ham tower like this one

http://www.americanlisted.com/minnesota_23/misc_117/antenna_tower_150_merrifield_mn_13325129.html

Its two sections teen feet long and one that is the top piece with the tube in the center to hold the antenna. I am wanting to set up a antenna so I can hook up a antenna to am radios and a hallicrafters s38 SW radio. Anyway I was thinking about putting some glass insulators on top then run a wire for a antenna. Has anyone done a setup with a tower for a radio? I do have a used TV antenna but its so so. I was wondering is a wire,maybe 50 to 100 ft from it to a insulator on the other end would work better. Anyone know pictures of a setup like it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

SW tower Empty Re: SW tower

Post by sprman on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:24 am

Verticals tend to pick up lots of noise. A sloping wire from the top down may work better.Best would be a inverted L or longwire at right angles to power lines.Sprman

sprman

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:30 pm

What I have been thinking is to put 2 wires or more on the top of the tower. Put them on the glass insulator. Then put the tower up and pull the wires over to a barn about 75 feet away from where I will place the tower next to my shop. The wires would be gradually sloping down to about 10 feet from the ground. The one thing I worry is about a lightning strike. How bad are they to attract lightning? I always disconnect antennas but one time years ago I had lightning hit my antenna then jup around to items in my shop. It burned up a transistor in a tv that wasn't even connected to the power or antenna.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:23 pm

That would work but use a lighting aresster to be safe.Be careful in everyhing you do make sure the ant and tower can not fall and hit any power lines! Sprman

sprman

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum