Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

contact cleaners

Go down

contact cleaners Empty contact cleaners

Post by Ben Delk on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:13 am

Anyone have suggestions for contact cleaners? Is there a "one product fits all" or do different pots require different sprays?
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

contact cleaners Empty Re: contact cleaners

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 am

Ben,

I've used CRC brand "QD Contact Cleaner" for years with great results. Plastics safe and leaves no residue. Comes in a red and white aerosol can with a straw. The best part is you can buy it at a lot of automotive chain stores in there chemicals and cleaners section. I dislike so-called sprays that "clean and lubricate". I don't like anything that leaves a film or residue, especially on volume pots. If I pot is tough to turn, I use a pen oiler I get at RadioShack that has Teflon in it and lube the shaft.

What I also use to clean circuit boards and contacts/connectors is something you find at a liquor store. It is "Everclear" grain alcohol--190 proof. Put it in an eye dropper or dip a cotton swab and it works wonders...and again completely evaporates.
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:25 am

CRC, haven't tried that, thanks. Everclear....we call the Moonshine in this part of the world. Ha!
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:00 pm

190 proof Grain alcohol is not safe on plastics, However it is used in optics for cleaning because it leaves no residue or film. 91-99 percent Isopropyl alcohol is safer and so is 70 ISO alcohol.
Sprays with lubricant for volume controls are OK because they are primarily used for the electrical contacts and carbon tracks, but they must specify for electronic controls such as switches and volume controls. If rotary switches are in need of attention then I would suggest Either cramolin if you can find it or contact cleaner. Cramolin has oils and tarnish cleaners in it and do not need to be removed. Deoxit is the same by the same company. CRC is a good product but some cleaners are aggressive in attacking plastics, so you really have to read the labels. OH! that Freon were still available, also trichloroethane (or is it Trichloroflouroethane?)is another cleaner that has been on the verge of being removed.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 912
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:07 pm

When possible, it's a good idea to put a paper towel under the contacts you want to clean. It helps to keep the cleaner in one place and you can see any residue that is being rinsed off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum