Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Tip For Mini Audio Jacks

Go down

A Tip For Mini Audio Jacks Empty A Tip For Mini Audio Jacks

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:02 pm

When working with 2-way radio equipment, particularly older paging equipment, I would come across earphone audio jacks that had either become fouled with pocket lint or whose silver plated contact surfaces had oxidized and would inhibit audio output. I found these interdental brushes at a drug stores' going out of business sale, and after using them, kept them on the bench at all times. The wire end can be inserted into a proper size spray tube with a bit of super glue to make a thin handle that can also manipulate the jack contacts with the other end. I used the brush with 91% isopropyl alcohol which would cut the tarnish pretty well.

http://www.gumbrand.com/flossing-deep-teeth-cleaning-tools/interproximal-brushes/products/gum-go-betweens-proxabrush-cleaner-refills-ultra-wide-/612ref/

This is the type that worked well on most jacks of the 3 to 4mm size.

Back to top Go down

A Tip For Mini Audio Jacks Empty Re: A Tip For Mini Audio Jacks

Post by willy3486 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Here is another tip on audio jacks. If you have one of the smaller headphone jacks to break off the tip follow these directions. I work on computers for a living and most of those jacks are sealed and soldered on the board. The entire board has to be replaced for the jack issue so I came up with this. If I have the tip in a jack I will get a pair of hemostats or needlenose pliers to hold a sewing needle or straight pin. I then take a soldering gun to heat the tip of the needle. I then insert it into the broken tip in the jack. There is usually a layer of plastic around the metal in the tip so I push down to get the needle to go into the tip. I let it cool and carefully pull theneedle and tip out. Sometimes I have to do it a couple of times but it usually works.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1390
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum