Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning Records

+4
Resistance is Futile
Bill Cahill
Motorola man
Doug Burskey
8 posters

Go down

Cleaning Records Empty Cleaning Records

Post by Doug Burskey Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:15 pm

What are your favorite methods of cleaning records? I have taken a paper towel wetted but not sopping wet with distilled water,gently wiped in the direction of the grooves,then left to dry before playing.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Cleaning Records Empty Re: Cleaning Records

Post by Motorola man Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Same method, but I use a microfiber cloth.
Dave
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:25 pm

Paper towel, wetted, but, not sopping wet, with mild dish detergent. Luke warm water. Several times around with grooves. Then a dry towel to dry it off, and, polish.
Cleans off alot of sins.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4432
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:12 pm

I have a special velour brush that you add Isopropyl Alcohol on and hold it on the record while the platter turns the record It helps to use a little detergent in the solution as the soap has antistatic properties. I use to handle the records only by the edges and always returned them to their record sleeves after playing. Avoid getting the labels wet.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 913
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:07 pm

The evil empire of Walmart sells, in the automotive section, these blue Scott brand heavy duty paper towels. The strongest has some fibers in it for strength. Strongest not needed but still nice. The medium strength roll runs around $2.25 and is strong enough that one is able to wash them out with a dab of dish soap let them dry and re-use for record cleaning. Yeah...soo...I am a cheapskate.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:02 pm

I also use the velour cleaner these days. One thing I miss is the poop that was applied to a record, allowed to dry, then one would use a piece of masking tape to remove the dried cleaner as a sheet from the record. It came with a dry lubricant and was great stuff!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:44 pm

I was told never to use any kind of alcohol on records as it has some kind of interaction with the vinyl and acetate compounds....

Mild soap and plain water is okay.
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:10 pm

I have purchased all kinds of fancy cleaning systems for records over the last 50 years. Most were not worth the investment. I have found in my old age that the best procedure for cleaning LP's is good old Windex and a terry cloth towel. Gets the dirt and leaves no residue. Just that "Windex shine". I use plain water on 78's.

Regards.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:20 pm

After the record is cleaned, when playing it, I had a cylindrical velour dust bug on a holder that pivots and contacts and dusts out the grooves as it plays. The velour on the cylinder began to deteriorate, so I made a broad brush about a quarter of an inch wide from my hair to replace the cylinder. That has worked well for about 15 years now.

Back to top Go down

Post by orthophonio Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:50 pm

Hello people-

I'm a newbie here. This is my first post.

I just recently discovered a unique way of cleaning records that you may or may not want to try that is great for vinyl that has alot of old surface dirt that may not come off with traditional record cleaning methods. The main ingredient is wood glue and you can find a short video describing the process here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpQv1s4x2cU

I've tried this process twice so far and had great results with one LP that had alot of old surface dirt. After the cleaning, the vinyl had a restored luster and I'd say about 90-95% free of surface noise. On an older record from the 50s that was actually still sealed when I got it the results were not as stellar mainly because of a tough stain (maybe mildew) that was pretty baked into the vinyl after 60 years of storage wear but I think this was an extreme case. I wouldn't be surprised if this stain was a defect when the record was brand new in the store way back when because it was pretty deep in there. I still plan on doing this process again especially on my vinyl that appears clean but has alot of surface noise. In the YouTube video the person says to use an antistatic tool after peeling the glue off. I didn't find that there was any static issue after I did the peel. They also have some fun playing the negative impression the glue makes after it's peeled from the record. That's not something I really wanted to try.

I would also recommend using a spare turntable or one you don't care too much about. It's not a messy process, but I found that my first try got a tad messier than I expected. My second try was more precise. Still I'd use a 'work' turntable.

Last edited by orthophonio on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

orthophonio

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Good post! Be sure to introduce yourself in the introduction forum. And welcome!

Back to top Go down

Post by orthophonio Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:57 pm

19&41 wrote:Good post! Be sure to introduce yourself in the introduction forum. And welcome!

Just did so. Thanks, glad to be here!

orthophonio

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Dr. Radio wrote:I was told never to use any kind of alcohol on records as it has some kind of interaction with the vinyl and acetate compounds....

Mild soap and plain water is okay.

BUT DO NOT EVER CLEAN EDISON Diamond Discs with soap and water. Alcohol is used for cleaning these. Without looking up the composite of a DD the water can ruin a DD.
ChrisH664
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum