Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painting plastics

Go down

Painting plastics Empty Painting plastics

Post by Ben Delk on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:23 am

Picked upa GE 508 clock radio at a yard sale just to play with. The original color is call blonde but the finish is less than desried so I'm thinking about painting it. This same model was also available in marron so I'd like to go with that. Can anyone give what they consider a good prep and paint process as well as the type paint that seems to work best?

Ben
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Painting plastics Empty Re: Painting plastics

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Krylon spray paint. Keep the spray an even stroke past both ends of the radio and at least 12 to 16inches away for an even lite coat. Let it dry before spraying again. Don't spray slow strokes to avoid runs. The epoxy line of Kryon works best, we even used it in touchup on military gear. You couldn't tell it had even been touched and looked original. (Most was either Dove Gray or Military green)

Krylon: Primer…of your project. Ruddy Brown Primer- use if your topcoat is medium to dark- examples: maroon, brown, etc.
Also they have a Fusion for Plastics line. http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic_textured_shimmer/
I wouldn't use the shimmer types though Just the regular colors.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 911
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:00 pm

I've had decent luck with Krylon as well. Give it a light sanding with very fine grit paper & a thorough washing before painting. Spray several light coats instead of one heavy coat. Give it another light sanding with extra fine paper to smooth the finish out. Krylon doesn't give a very glossy finish, so a high gloss clear coat will shine it up. Wait a few days before clear coating or it may cause the color coat to wrinkle.
Dave
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Dave. I was think of going with maroon but I found one in that color and didn't much care for the color companion so I think I'll stick with the cream and gold , just repaint with epoxy paint this time after a good sanding and primer base..

Thanks again
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum