Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tube Layout Diagram Preservation

Go down

Tube Layout Diagram Preservation Empty Tube Layout Diagram Preservation

Post by NashvilleRad on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:43 pm

As you know, many tube layout diagrams on/inside radio cases - if they're even there - are typically damaged, scuffed, or have aged and are extremely brittle to the touch.

If you want to do any cleaning, painting, or restoration, it's obviously very tough to work around those diagrams without damaging htem further - and you certainly can't take them off in one piece.

I've had the idea to perhaps spray a think coat of clear coat, or lightly coat/prepare the diagram and its edges along the case with as thin a layer of clear PVC I can manage -- then continue on with cleaning/restoration.

Any other methods or ideas?

NashvilleRad

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Tube Layout Diagram Preservation Empty Re: Tube Layout Diagram Preservation

Post by willy3486 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:53 am

I have never cleaned them up much as far as that goes. But one thing you may want to try is to find some old newspaper that has some age to it. Before you try any method of cleaning try it on the old newspaper first to see if there is any damage. With todays computers and cameras if you do get a good picture of one you can clean it up and reproduce one to look original if you so choose. If you really want it to look old as well a forgers old trick was to forge a document then dip the paper in tea. No green teas but real southern tea,living in Nashville you probably know what that is. Then let it soak enough to stain but not enough to saturate and fall apart. After that let it dry. When it is done it will look like a 50+ year old document.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NashvilleRad on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:56 am

will3486 - that's a great idea as far as reproduction - and yes, I know what 'real' tea is - Ha!

btw, I meant clear 'RTV' not PVC. There's one I'm working on thatis so brittle, it's flaking off the cabinet. I figured if I just 'plastered' it on there and worked around it, it would be better than losing the original.

NashvilleRad

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:51 pm

I tape a thin piece of plastic over the labels and work around them. Make sure that you don't stick any tape to the label or you can kiss it goodbye. The plastic will help keep them from being damaged while you're working. When you're done, just pull the plastic off.
As for a label that is already flaking, a light coat of clear laquer will help keep it from getting worse. I would still cover it up while you're working though.

BTW if you ask for green tea down here in the south, you're going to get some mighty funny looks and unless you specify otherwise, it's going to have enough sugar in it to put the average person into a diabetic coma. affraid
Dave
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Brig on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:49 pm

"BTW if you ask for green tea down here in the south, you're going to get some mighty funny looks and unless you specify otherwise, it's going to have enough sugar in it to put the average person into a diabetic coma."

Your comment reminds me of when my wife and I first moved to the Boston area in 1963. In a restaurant if, in response to the waitress's or waiter's question re your ordering coffee, "Regular?" you said yes thinking you'd get it black--that is, "regular" meaning ordinary, nothing added-etc.--you were in for a big disappointment: it was served you with loads of cream and sugar. . . !

Brig

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Allen on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:29 am

NashvilleRad wrote:As you know, many tube layout diagrams on/inside radio cases - if they're even there - are typically damaged, scuffed, or have aged and are extremely brittle to the touch.

Your idea of clear coat should be very durable IF you can get the label saturated and willing to lie flat before it dries. I've had good look with thinning Elmers Glue at least 50/50 with water and painting it on with a small brush. The label gets wet, flattens out, and the glue dries clear.

edit: A few days ago I used 50-50 Liquid Stitch/water to reinforce a speaker cone and I tried painting it on a label. It works well but takes a while to not feel tacky.

Dave Allen

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum