Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who Makes Backs?

Go down

Who Makes Backs? Empty Who Makes Backs?

Post by danemodsandy on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:25 pm

I remember reading somewhere that there is someone who reproduces Masonite backs for Bakelite tube radios. Does anyone know who it is? My Zenith 6D015Z Consoltone is going to need one. If it makes any difference, I do not have an original back to use as a pattern, though I do have a photo of a Consoltone that does have a back.

Thanks in advance -

Sandy McLendon

"I miss civilization, don't you?"
danemodsandy
danemodsandy

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Who Makes Backs? Empty Re: Who Makes Backs?

Post by willy3486 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:07 am

I wouldn't think it would be all that hard to make one. I needed a pattern for some truck panels in my old truck I was redoing. No one had measurements but I did have a good strait in shot of a good one. What I would do since you have the picture is to print it out and see how far off it is. Then I would use some program to expand the picture. In other words if you print it out and it is 5 inches wide but need 8 then use a program to expand it to 8. If your radio is a lot like many of them you could use the holes where screws or clips are to hold on the back as a reference. Get it to where when you print it out and trim it the picture is a good fit. You may expand it to where it prints out on two or more pages that you can tape together. Then when you get a good pattern just lay it out on the masonite and trace it. Then it should be easy to cut out with a scroll saw. Another way maybe to post you need a scan of this radio and someone might could scan it and send a email to you that can be printed out to size. Is that picture you have posted anywhere?
If you need a antenna on it what you could do is to make the back cover then make a second piece of masonite to be cut in a form like many radios have that you can weave wire in between it to make a antenna. I get wire that is coated from the degaussing coils on TVs and computer monitors. It can make a great antenna form.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by danemodsandy on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:28 am

Hi Willy:

Thanks for the tips. I don't have a scroll saw, so that's why I'm looking for someone to do this for me. I intend to do a mockup in cardboard, so that I can send it along as a pattern. My Consoltone has a separate antenna that is on its own form; it's woven exactly as you mention. It's not in the best shape cosmetically, so I am thinking that might need to be re-made as well. The goal on this radio is a very original, correct and pristine cosmetic appearance, as well as functioning properly. I've wanted this radio for about five years, and have searched seriously for it for two years to find an affordable one. It's the brown Bakelite version of the white Consoltone 6D015W seen in my avatar.

Thanks again!
danemodsandy
danemodsandy

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum