Least favorite History Channel program

Go down

Least favorite History Channel program Empty Least favorite History Channel program

Post by terrydec on Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:04 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love both the History channel and the Discovery channel. However I question the "History" value of some of the shows, like what do "Psychics" have to do with history? It seems to me that's more of a Discovery channel type thing.
I also like Pawn Stars and the American Pickers. Yeah, I can see the history connection there. I especially love the "Old Man" on Pawn Stars. His witty remarks are usually, sometimes brutally, right on target. He often makes me laugh 'til I cry. I was also moved by the most recent episode of American Pickers where they went back to one of their guests and gave him half of the profits from the sale of some circus banners. They didn't have to do that, and this wasn't the first time they've done something really nice.

Anyway- What's your current 'least favorite' History channel program. One program per customer please.
I'll start-
My current least favorite program is "Top Gear". What on earth does this have to do with History? I'm really NOT looking forward to the program were they mount a bunch of paint guns on a couple of cars and drive around shooting at each other. Stupid? Yes. Historic? Not so much.
Terry
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Least favorite History Channel program Empty Re: Least favorite History Channel program

Post by Nick666 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:00 pm

American Pickers.I got "axe murderer" vibes from those guys.

Nick
Nick666
Nick666

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Back to top Go down

Least favorite History Channel program Empty Re: Least favorite History Channel program

Post by rocketeer on Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 pm

History is owned by A&E which owns all of the following channels, among others. You might notice a pattern to the programming. They tend to rotate a lot of the same programs from channel to channel. That's why so much of it seem's inappropriate. It's a cost cutting thing. When was the last time you actually saw a biography on the Biography channel? Oh, yeah, the whole kit and kaboodle is owned by Disney. The only one I ever watch these days is the Military Channel.

AETN networks include:

* A&E Network
* The Biography Channel
* Crime & Investigation Network
* History
* History en EspaƱol
* History International
* Lifetime
* Lifetime Movie Network
* Lifetime Real Women
* Military History Channel

Larry
rocketeer
rocketeer

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:31 am

Interesting.

Another interesting note:
I've heard that 5 corporations own 96% of ALL radio stations in America.
Isn't that like a Mono-Poly
T.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by denver on Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:33 pm

I like all. But top gear kinda stupid.
Go to speed channel for that.
My favorites are pickers , man i,am going to do that.
Put a listing in local papers , let us look through junk.
That is funny axe murders , mutt & jeff maybe.
Here is a axe affraid
denver
denver

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:06 pm

The other one that i find really annoying is Ice Road Truckers.

Nick
Nick666
Nick666

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Yeah, and what do Ax Men have to do with history? Or the oil drillers. The trend seems to be toward confrontational reality shows rather than informative programs. This is slightly off the subject, but the Repo show and Parking Wars are the WORST offenders. At least 'Dog' has SOME redeeming factors, (they pray together).
T.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandy G on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:00 pm

"Top Gear" is OK, but they don't quite have the quirky combination of personalities that the Brit parent does that makes it work so well..One thing that to me, is ANNOYING as all H3ll, is the use of "MTV"-style graphics on one of the Military programs- "Great Planes"...Do they absolutely HAVE to use that uber-Grating "Whoosh" sound every single solitary time they change from one picture to another ?!? Aye, caramba...I'd prefer a bit more "Steak" & not quite so much "sizzle", please, thank you...They're trying for the almighty 18-34 demographic w/that show, I guess, but judging from the virtually total lack of interest/knowledge of subjects historical amongst ones in that age group I've talked to-Present company excepted, of course, I'd wager they're wasting their time...

Sandy G

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:06 pm

Sandy G wrote:"Top Gear" is OK, but they don't quite have the quirky combination of personalities that the Brit parent does that makes it work so well..One thing that to me, is ANNOYING as all H3ll, is the use of "MTV"-style graphics on one of the Military programs- "Great Planes"...Do they absolutely HAVE to use that uber-Grating "Whoosh" sound every single solitary time they change from one picture to another ?!? Aye, caramba...I'd prefer a bit more "Steak" & not quite so much "sizzle", please, thank you...They're trying for the almighty 18-34 demographic w/that show, I guess, but judging from the virtually total lack of interest/knowledge of subjects historical amongst ones in that age group I've talked to-Present company excepted, of course, I'd wager they're wasting their time...
I hate that too and i'm 19.

Nick
Nick666
Nick666

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:27 pm

I hate reality shows. Even the animal planet channel has been leanning more into reality programming, so, I've nearly stopped watching them.
SyFY, you don't want to hear what I call it now, has very little real science fiction anymore.
In fact, on Wed., and, Friday, they have live boxing. No, I'm not kidding!
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4455
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:50 pm

My least favorite is American pickers. I can not stand these guys. I wish they would cancel the show. I like to see what they find but I cannot tolerate the two guys. I could tolerate the heavy set one but the skinny one seems to me to be stuck on himself and arrogant. The show I like best is American restoration. I enjoy watching the show. I watch it and tell my wife they can do this and this to fix something and many times they do what I said. I have learned from that show as well. The owner does not seem to be arrogant or a know it all, he seems to have knowledge on the items. There is a difference between being a arrogant know it all and someone who is knowledgeable. The guys at American pickers need to learn the difference. I also like the guy chumley on pawn stars I think. To me most of these show must teach the people on them to act like Larry the cable guy, most of them seem like a clone of Larry.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:22 pm

My new favorite show to hate on is Canadian pickers.I prefer to call it Canadian white trash dumpster-divers from the 60's.

Nick
Nick666
Nick666

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Yeh. Most of my tv enjoyment now comes from vhs, and, dvd's. I can't stand what's on!
In fact, BBC Amereica has several programs surrounding a Brittish chef who goes around saving restaurants from financial ruine.
I don't like it because, even though they bleep the words, he uses foul language, and, has a nasty temper.
True, he has helped many restaurants both there, and, in U. S., but, I don't like his attitude, temper, and, foul language.
They often miss part of the words. One common word he uses, and, forgive me guys, it's only meant as an example., "This fbleepng food is no fbleepng good!"
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:45 am

I don't mind the use of vulgar language on tv.As far as i'm concrened they are just words.The thing i can't stand is how mind-nummingly boring reality tv is.

Nick
Nick666
Nick666

Back to top Go down

Post by danemodsandy on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:45 am

Bill:

I don't think it's a coincidence that that British chef's own restaurant empire is in serious, serious trouble. His restaurants are closing down all over the world. If I had to guess, I'd say that prospective customers might be curious about the food, but they're turned off by his harassment of kitchen staff on television. I know I don't want to put any money into his pocket.
danemodsandy
danemodsandy

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:57 am

Seems they are showing the program less often. Reruns. If his attitude would change, I wouldn't mind it so much.
True, some of the owners need to be hit severely along the side of the head, but, I think he goes about it all wrong.
It's a shame. He's apparently even saved some restaurants in Fl. from financial collapse.
Now they are putting more modern crap on.
Even the animal planet has dissappointed me severely.
Time to go back to my dvd's.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:11 am

Although its not history but here is another one to add up to the programing beef of show. I work an hour away in a school system and my daughter goes to college in that town. Her dorm is just down the road from my work in fact. My daughter also work at the STEM center there. STEM stands for science, technology,engineering and mathmatics IIRC.

Back during the summer the discovery was at the STEM center and was filming. my daughter was there and they filmed her in a piece that will be on the show. The filming was for the Profile Series as they call the show. They had been there and were filming about the school system I work in and some of the advancements they have made in the system. My supervisor has sent me all the info he is getting on it being on TV since he knows she may be on the show.

So here is the part I do not understand. This is a show about education,engineering,advancements,etc all that discovery channel would be about. so guess when this show will be on? It is going to come on at 6:00 A.M. in the morning. That hits me as odd. Instead of at a time like 6 at night its at 6 in the morning. At least it isn't now between these get rich quick and get it now novelty of the 30 minute infomercial time. Thats why I am up now,because my wife woke me and asked if I set up the DVD to record. Anyway it seems as if there is no real thinking behind the programing except what sells to the masses.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Least favorite History Channel program Empty TV recommendation

Post by Brig on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:50 am

To those of you who like TV's "Pawn Stars" may I recommend you also view "Hardcore Pawn" shown Tuesdays on TruTV at 8:00 p.m. But be forewarned: this program is a cultural shock. I grew up not far from where this program is filmed (Detroit's Eight Mile Road) but, oh, my, how the area has changed. . . .

Brig

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:58 pm

That's my favorite program Hells Kitchen. He's Obtuse for a reason "It's Entertainment" He really shows what the real Chefs are like, self centered, ignorant, filthy habits, not organized or co-operative, bickering, backstabbing, unsanitary cooking conditions and the biggest thing of all Greed to get the top Honors.

It's a real eyeopener to what goes on behind the scenes when you go out to a real restaurant. You must admit He wants sanitary and properly cooked food.

That is a reflection of all of society, whether it the auto mechanic, Dentist or horrors of horrors, insurance, or Doctors. Just plain lack of respect and Honor. I don't agree with the foul language, but He doesn't use it the first time but they don't listen to his instructions or warnings.
One good thing, the Chefs go away in disgrace and will probably get thrown out of culinary circles and make restaurants a safer place to eat or grow up and realize how serious we must get about sanitation.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Ice Road Truckers And Top Gear To me Top Gear is More for Discovery Channel than History Channel

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down