Home made power supply

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Home made power supply

Post by Nick666 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:35 pm

I am planning on building a power supply to run one of my battery radios and i need advise on how to do this.It will need to be able to supply the following voltages.A)2V B+)135,67,45 C-)-9.I plan on using a 80 globe as the rect.tube as the radio is from 1927.Please let me know if this is even possable as well as any ideas on how to build it.

Nick
Nick666

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Home made power supply

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Wink Here's a very good tutorial on power supplies for farm and portable tube radios.
Click Here--> Battery supply

At least this will point you in the right direction. If your going to use a #80 tube you will need to find a schematic that will have those exact voltages, then build one from the schematic.

Last edited by Resistance is Futile on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:56 pm

An 80 will not be able to handle the filament current.
BH could.
They made seperate supplies because alot of radios have uncompatible hook ups. A+is often where B- is. Etc.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4585

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:26 pm

I guess that i should give you guys some more info about the radio.The radio is a Canadian Westinghouse 16.Here is a link to some pics. of one that someone posted in the ARF photo gallery.
www.antiqueradios.com/gallery/v/westinghouse_canada/
Please note that this is not my radio.The radio in the pics. uses 6x 201-B tubes and mine uses 6x 30 tubes.The 6 wires in the battery cable on mine are labled as follows:1)A+ 2)B+135v 3)B+67v 4)B+45v 5)C-9v 6)A-B-&C+
I had been planing on running the tube filaments off a power transformer with a 2.5v filament winding and using a dropping resistor to lower the voltage to 2v.I hope this is helpful.

Here is a copy of the schematic that i have for this radio.

Nick

Last edited by Nick666 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:24 pm; edited 5 times in total
Nick666

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:26 pm

I doubt that is enough, plus, you must have dc voltage on the filaments. AC will cause a loud hum.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:09 pm

sorry,i can't seem to get the pic. to display.Bill i don't understand.Please elaborate on what is not enough.

Nick
Nick666

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:26 am

First, the amperage, unless the filament winding is good for at least 6 amps.
And, as I said, it must be dc, or, you will get ac hum through the filament supply.
I also see that you will have to make a seperate C supply.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:29 am

I guess that i'm going to have to think this idea out a little better.

Nick
Nick666

Back to top Go down

Post by failafraid on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:48 am

Homemade Bench peak Power provide
Iíve habitually had an interest for electronics and lately Iíve been discovering my concerns more. Last week I arranged through my tub of components and placed them in individual sketches. It took a good while to sort everything but I believe it was worth it. Iíve glimpsed power provision constructed from PC power provision before so I thought Iíd build one my self. Thing is, I never actually got round to it.

Yesterday I was feeling rather determined and decided to make a bench top power supply for little electronics. All the sites I discovered I have lost, so I kind of made it up as I went along. Most of them utilised ATX power provision that are gladly available, but I opted for the easy way out and used an AT with a hard on/off switch. At first this was the only cause I utilised it, but there are more benefits to utilising a AT over an ATX power provide for an external power provide. Firstly, it was bargain, well free really. I took it from a PC that I had changed some time ago. I have a carton full of AT power provision in storage that Iíll get to some time and restore it. But I wonít be utilising the PC it came out of for a while, mostly because I have toaster ovens that are faster. Another cause it is better than a ATX is it has less voltages. The only voltages recorded are 12v, 5v, -5v (7v) and GND. They alter in amps but are adequate for what I will be utilising it for. It made it very simple not to attach it up since there wasnít many wires.

To make it was really easy. I took the peak off. Drilled 4 apertures in the case and injected the insulated fatal, ascertaining to make sure they didnít ground out on the case. Cut most of the cables, departing a twosome of molexís hanging out just in case I need them. I then soldered the remaining wires to a fatal by voltage (Yellow +12, Red +5, Red +/-5, Black GND.) It might not be the prettiest of them all, but I believe it will do its job well.
washing machines

failafraid

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post by NashvilleRad on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:20 am

Here's a power supply I'm about to put together:

It's a 120 to 12.6 VAC transformer I got out of a broken computer speaker system (from Goodwill for $1.00), and a Velleman 1A power supply, with $1.00 plastic junction box from Home Depot and a few pieces of hardware from Radio Shack (now known at 'The Shack' for whatever reason).

The output on the Velleman board can be adjusted bewtween 0 to 23 VDC depending on the transformer/supply - I'm trying to find a small extension type rod to poke through the enclosure and mount to the trimmer pot so I can adjust to voltage - I haven't looked for a 4700 Ohm potentiometer (if there is one) to use in place of the trimmer (per Velleman instructions). I guess I could always put the trimmer outside the enclosure.

It's amazing what you can find at Goodwill.

NashvilleRad

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Failafraid:

" I am not familiar with the term you used in your comments, "Fatal" as in "... insulated fatal... " and "...I then soldered the remaining wires to a fatal by voltage..." .

Could you explain that, ground? power?insulated wire? Voltage?
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 990

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:15 am

A lm 317 voltage regulator makes a decent power supply. I have made a few using it and run it through some caps/resistor to filter it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1428
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Building a tube radio power supply

Post by dan88king on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Hello, I have had some experience with building this type of power supply. I followed the same general circuit that Antique Electronic Supply uses for their battery radio power supply kit. For the low voltage DC filament voltage of 2 volts, I would use a 6.3 volt or 12.6 volt filament transformer, a full-wave rectifier bridge from Radio shack, adequate voltage and capacity rated electrolytic capacitor, a bleeder resistor across the raw DC output, and an LM317 adjustable voltage regulator IC. I think its output current rating is 1 1/2 amps. The circuit diagram is on the back of the Radio Shack package. I used a potentiometer to find the correct resistance for 2.0 volts output from the regulator, and then soldered in the same value in a fixed resistor.
For the various B-plus voltages, I have had good stable results using a series string of 11-volt and 22-volt zener diodes. This divides the raw DC voltage from the solid-state or vacuum tube rectifier (again using a bleeder resistor) and filter capacitors down in steps, and by choosing other Zener diode voltages, you can obtain the minus 9 volts bias voltage, by connecting the B-minus output wire one or two steps up from the minus end of the diode string. I got 135 volts, 90 volts, 67 volts, 45 volts, and 22 volts. I think there is a current-limiting resistor involved somewhere in the circuit, so the zener string desn't draw excessive current.
This also works with very low DC voltages, and I built a power supply for servicing transistor radios, that has all the reqired voltages, from 1 1/2 volts up to 12 volts. The raw DC rectified and filtered voltage was stabilized by an LM317 IC, then divided down in 1 1/2 volt steps and fed to a row of Fahnestock clips.
I hope this is useful. Good Luck!

Dan King

dan88king

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top