just a thought

Go down

just a thought Empty just a thought

Post by denver on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Might get mad at me . But this site will never get busy staying at the other sites. They can get along without you all. Rolling Eyes
denver
denver

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

just a thought Empty Re: just a thought

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:26 pm

I hardly see anyone here posting.
I'm truly dissappointed as I've been trying very hard to make this a friendly, educational site.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4386
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:51 pm

I'm guilty of not spending more time here too, and I'm sorry. I was one of your biggest supporters when Alan was having his problems. And of course there was that "faux paus "(sp?) where I said, "my only...", instead of "one of my...".

I've been trying to think of some ways to bring more attention to this site. I create a lot of threads on ARF. Maybe bringing up a bunch of off the wall subjects there would bring more attention here.

Someone created an AA5 forum, figuring it would be a nice spinoff from ARF. It failed miserably.

Anyway, I'm here now-
Hi Bill.
Terry
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBandsMan on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:22 pm

Bill, I'm as guilty as anyone else of not spending more time here.

In my case, I think it's because I haven't "staked out any turf" here. On ARF, at least, I've had time to establish a certain presence that people recognize, and I do what I can to keep Vintage Audio busy.

I have even tried serious LP disc reviews on my Big Bertha thread during testing procedures, trying to bring back some of the flavor of the old hi-fi magazines before they all turned into commercials. The response so far hasn't been what I wanted, but all the same, I've tried.

I'll try to start spending more time here, too.

Smile Larry
BigBandsMan
BigBandsMan

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:53 am

I stop in every day! Ido post and in in a few other forums racing, trains,planes..Ido what i can to keep it going.. Sprman : )

sprman

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:09 am

I'm making it a point to put this site on my daily tour too. Usually that's eBay, here, N.A., ARF Clubhouse, (plus any ARF tech forum I might be in), and Facebook. Don't worry, I only use Facebook to keep up with my son. I wouldn't know how to "social network" even if I DID know what it was.
What a Face
Terry
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordon on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:55 am

I am a reader! I log on as much as possible and read all the new posts. My level of knowledge is low so I have little to offer. Thus the lack of posts. My questions are always asked by others and I can find the help I need by reading the threads already posted.
Gordon
Gordon

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Just checking in. Note to nay-sayers:
Put this in your queue of sites to visit each day.
Wanna help this site grow? Post some interesting Threads.
Terry
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:44 pm

I'm going to start trying to sdend as much time here as i do on ARF.

Nick
Nick666
Nick666

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:17 pm

I've been trying to make up for my absense by posting 5 replys today. Very Happy Lots of people here that i can help out. Very Happy

P.S.-To everyone on here who is also on ARF, my ARF screen name is GuitarGuyNack.

Nick
Nick666
Nick666

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:41 pm

As of this posting ARF is down, at least on my connection.
So We should be getting more visitors and members.

Opps! its back up again!

Last edited by Resistance is Futile on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update on ARF)
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by bill57 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:11 pm

Everytime I post a question here I get quick friendly help so this is the first place I go to for assistance. So thanks Bill Cahill for your efforts on this forum. I will try to post more.

bill57

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:25 am

Gordon wrote:I am a reader! I log on as much as possible and read all the new posts. My level of knowledge is low so I have little to offer. Thus the lack of posts. My questions are always asked by others and I can find the help I need by reading the threads already posted.

Hi all,

This is pretty much my situation. I was being tutored by an old ex Navy chap for a short while. I was just about to the point where I would have been comfy sticking my fingers into the circuitry when the poor guy had a massive stroke and never recovered. Now I figure I know just enough to be dangerous. Smile

I try to comment when I can, but there isn't a great deal I can contribute in a technical way. But I have made an effort to drop by more often than I first did, and I do enjoy reading what is posted.

I can understand Bill's concern. One would want to see as much activity as possible for sure. But l figure it out this way. Right now you may not have the quantity, but you definitely have quality! Wink

Just my thoughts............ Bob
ve1arn
ve1arn

Number of posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi Bob. Might I suggest that you invest in some reference material. One book I would STRONGLY recommend for a beginner is Alfred Corbin's book "A Modern Look at Antique Radio Repair" It's available from Amazon and on eBay. Alfred is great people and a member of ARF. He's probably a member here too. And if he isn't I'm gonna get on his case.
Terry
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi Terry,

I've often seen that book mentioned and wondered about it. I haven't really any bad comments on it either.

While I do have other books, both hard copy and on my computer, this one sounds like it could be a good one to have as well.

My biggest problem as far as book learning is concerned, is how my old mind works. I can only get so much out of a book before my minds sort of stops and I need to do hands on to really get the big picture. That's why I was doing so well with my friend till he passed away.

If a couple of my hints for Christmas cash comes through, this book might just be what I get with it. Very Happy

Thanks for the comments, Bob
ve1arn
ve1arn

Back to top Go down

Post by exray on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Wife and I were talking not too long ago and I happened to mention "would you be interested in refurbing an old radio?" She liked the idea and although she doesn't know a capacitor from a resistor she's pretty savvy craftwise.

I've got a junker RCA tombstone candidate set on the way and I'm putting her name on it. It will give me a chance to revisit some of the things I take for granted and maybe I can do some video clips like some of the other guys have done. I'm more excited about helping/teaching her to do it than I would be doing it myself!

If this comes to pass I'll blog about it here.

-Bill
exray
exray

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Exray........ I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

Great that your wife is interested in it too. Mine couldn't care less about the workings of stuff like this. Crying or Very sad
ve1arn
ve1arn

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Bob-
The neat thing about Alfred's Book is that it's in REALLY big print. And it isn't full of a lot of theory. What little theory he, of necessity, does include is brief and tailored for dummies like us, (me anyway).

I ran into a problem with an FM radio recently and asked for advice. I was directed to "FM Simplified" , and it wasn't cheap.
Wow, I'd hate to see "FM- not so simplified" This is a college textbook and I was totally lost in the first chapter. By the forth page I needed an understanding of Trigonometry.

Alfred's book is the Opposite of that. And it's bound so that it lays flat. Nice touch.
Terry
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by exray on Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:53 pm

Well Bob, she doesn't share my same affinity for old radio in general but there's certain radios around the house that she takes a liking to. I was going to sell my Philco chairside at one time and she was shocked and asked that we keep it. That's always a good sign!

She's been working as a crafts 'leader' for the old folks home and has gotten in the groove of having her own toolbox and stuff. It may be more of a craft project than a radio project for her but I promise I will not allow her to paint it white and decorate it!

-Bill
exray
exray

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:07 am

Hi guys!
I try to at least visit the forum here every coupld of days, just to check out the posts. I am guilty too for not posting enough here. However it sometimes is a case of having a short time to go to the regular sites, check emails, check other sites, then the other non-computer stuff going on takes up time.

One this that bothersme just a bit, is the flood control, If I make a post, then need to correct it, I have to wait the 120 seconds to edit the post. No biggie, but it would be nice to have that 'feature' turned off.
This site however is the first place I will come to when the ARF goes down. I know that a site owner wants to have a lot of traffic on their site. I will make it a point to drop by more often though in the future.
Take care,
Gary.

PS, plus this is the only site that still has "Mr. Itchy" still scratching himself 24/7/365 Smile
GaryRabbitt
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:21 am

Gary, I know of no flood control I could turn off. I think sometimes the internet is just veeeerrryyy slow.
Right now, this forum is fast for me. Sometimes it's fast, other times, it crashes.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eliot Ness on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Yeah, Bill that's happened to me here before also. It actually comes up with a message telling you you have to wait something like 120 seconds.
Eliot Ness
Eliot Ness

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:55 pm

I think there is a control on our webpage. I will look for it and change that to a more reasonable time if I can. It was used to prevent multiple postings from malicious persons.

--------------------------

Bill its found in the security section.
I changed it to 20 seconds. Wink

Last edited by Resistance is Futile on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed flood control)
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Thanks.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin