Howard 482 FM converter

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Howard 482 FM converter

Post by exray on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Not what I'd call a major project but this is a recent project that kept me happy for a few days. This is a Howard 482 FM converter. Receives FM and converts it to audio that you can plug into your old radio that has a phono jack.

There are several similar models out there. Maybe the most common is the Pilotuner T-601 by Pilot Radio. IMHO, the Howard is a much better unit.

I did the routine replacement of paper caps and electrolytics. These guys also have a bunch of white coated disc ceramics that can be dodgy and I had to replace two of them. Several resistors way out of spec. It only required slight realignment to be perfect.

I guess the biggest aggravation with this model is the knobs. They are made of some sort of plastic that outgasses badly and can be a real bear to clean up. I think I spent more time cleaning the knobs than working on the electronics!

The little wooden case is easy to refinish. The cheap wood doesn't need grain filler or anything special Smile The black trim is my own fetish, it looks a bit frumpy otherwise. (Guess I should have cleaned out the corners a bit better before snapping the pic Sad )

All in all they are nice little units and are the ticket to getting FM on your older radios.

exray

Number of posts: 146
Registration date: 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Howard 482 FM converter

Post by sprman on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:39 pm

Nice have seen a few befor..Ihad the pilot tuner 601 sold it..Dont see the Howards as much as you do the Pilots..Sprman : )

sprman

Number of posts: 376
Registration date: 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by denver on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Anyway to make them work on 30, s console sets. Without
a lot of work. Rolling Eyes ? Nice looking set.

denver

Number of posts: 405
Registration date: 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by exray on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Sure. If there's not a phono connection its easy to add one if its a typical circuit from about the mid-30s going forward. Generally just tap into the 'top' of the volume control via a cap ~0.1uf.

exray

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:51 pm

How does the Howard perform? Any drift?

Tony V

Number of posts: 405
Registration date: 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by exray on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:33 am

IMO, its much more sensitive than the Pilot. They are both non-AFC type of circuits. It would be hard to say if one drifts more than the other. Basically the same as any FM set up until the mid-50s when AFC became the norm in that it takes occasional touching up.

exray

Back to top Go down

Howard 482 rebuild

Post by Bottlerockit on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:51 pm

About to do a similar rebuild on a Howard 482 from long beach Cali. Mine is in rough shape. It's going on a 1941 silvertone chairside.

Bottlerockit

Number of posts: 2
Registration date: 2011-08-10

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top