Post by antiqueradiobuff on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:01 pm

I own a zenith royal 3000 no reception anyone have any awnsers
antiqueradiobuff

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: zenith no reception

Post by Oldsmobile Man on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:03 pm

Is the alignment just really off? Touch middle terminal of volume control with a screwdriver and listen for noise...as well as grid caps if any... let us know your findings.

Robert
Oldsmobile Man

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldsmobile Man on Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:00 pm

oh, is there static/ dead air?
Oldsmobile Man

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:58 pm

This is a solid state set, no tubes, I have this set it had no reception

Its the transistors, If it has the original ones they are probabbly dead.
simplex1040

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:40 am

Batteries OK? Power plug OK? if not try to see if battery wires Are corroded, or broken off. Test with Multimeter for any voltages any where in circuit card. Maybe check if it has blown fuse (if it has one) If it shows any life on batteries, then Suspect AC power supply. If it shows life on AC and not on battery then battery block should be looked at. If you see any voltages at all then suspect Caps first, then open resistors, transistors. Check for broken wires and broken or hairline crack(s )in board. Look at solder connections and look at on/off switch, as it could be bad. Crying or Very sad Also speaker could be bad remove and test. Does it have an earplug jack, test it does it work if so then bad speaker.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 977

Back to top Go down

Post by antiqueradiobuff on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:07 pm

plenty of power picks up nothing speaker dead but when i hook up a head set i gets static but still not picking up stations i suspect a dead transistor in the rf stage
? possibole i do not know
antiqueradiobuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Heres an old trick if you don't have a signal tracer setting around.
Use a small transistor radio turn it too about 1000KHZ and tune the Zenith 3000 all the way through the broadcast band. Make sure the radios are front to back and both on. When you now tune the Zenith you should hear some howl or squeal at some point. If you do then you have the local oscillator working. if it doesn't then that is the culprit stage to look at. If it isn't working then you will get nothing as far as reception.

However if it does howl then its working and you need to start tracing the signal back wards, starting from the audio, and ending up at the front end of the receiver, (the RF stages) You can use a crystal germanium diode as a detector and hook that as a probe to an audio amplifier. I would suggest a capacitor at the front then a resistor then a diode. Either plug this into an audio input plug or hook it to the center tap of the volume control. you can touch it around the suspect circuit till you get some audio. This should only be done with another radio as the audio amp or to an Isolated audio amp.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 977

Back to top Go down

Post by antiqueradiobuff on Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:26 pm

ok thank you i will try that i do not own any testing equiptment exipt for a meter ot two
antiqueradiobuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down