Plastic 50sTable radios

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Plastic 50sTable radios

Post by nytuberadio on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:58 pm

I enjoy finding and fixing these plastic AA5s. The investmemt is low, and there is q good chance for success. These radios come in a varity of colors and style. The neatest thing is the minature tubes.
Jolten Joe

nytuberadio

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Plastic 50sTable radios

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Yes I agree, but my biggest delema is to get them without the sellers being so greedy, thinking there worth more than a few dollars. Around here anyway, they average $25 at antique and second hand stores, not working.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 989
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by nytuberadio on Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:54 pm

I try not to go over $15 for a working plastic case radio. Craig list has worked for me. Flea markets garage sales, Hamfeast. Ocassionally Ebay with local pickup.
Joe Cool

nytuberadio

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:02 am

Pretty much the same situation where I live as well. If it hums, that means it works and is worth more.

Though, I have been fairly lucky with listing in our local freecycle network. I've managed to get 8 free radios this way over the last year or so.

Cheer...... Bob
ve1arn

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:43 am

Yeah they go about the same here.Many were made by everyone it seems.Yard sales you find them cheap and CL ,you may check out Backpage...Sometimes you find them there too.Sprman : )

sprman

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:09 pm

My favorites too mainly because I feel kinda confident doing the chassis restore and love to bring those ugly ducklings back to life. Be sure to check estate auctions. Antique dealers will bid up the bettter looking sets mainly because it's something they can polish up and plop in the store quickly. Ugly ducklings they have no time or know how to go about sprucing them up so I get alot at these auctions for less than $5....bought 4 the other Saturday for $1 each.
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisH664 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:16 pm

Here are two of em. RCA got a replaced electrolytic and it plays like a charm. Used what paint I had left over so I went a bit wild on the colors. Transitone is in progress. Dial cover was scratched pretty good so Plastx got that fixed. Came with both knobs but they are set aside. Got the cabinet sanded ready for prime and repaint back to original ivory color.
ChrisH664

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top