Voltage too high

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Voltage too high

Post by bill57 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Replaced all paper caps with the yellow film caps. On a few of these I was slightly off value such as for a 0015 I used a .001, for a 0018 I used a 002 for a 0039 I used a 004. Other than these I was dead on the original values.
On the electrolytics it had three 50uf/300v in a can on top of the chassis. I did not restuff the can but wrapped together three 50uf/450v and mounted under chassis. I did watch for correct polarity. I grounded all three together to a tab on the original can and cut loose the wires to the old and connected to the new 50's.
I also found two electrolytics under chassis. one a 10/70v that I replaced with a 10uf/160v and an 8uf/300v that I replaced with an 8uf/450v also being careful of the originals polarity.

Could I be wrong where I grounded the three 50's? Wouldn't the originals be grounded to the can and not the chassis? I'm going to double check this part.

bill57

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:31 pm

Connecting the negative leads of the new electrolytics to the negative on the can is correct.
I'm most concerned of neatness of wirring. Next point, if one of those caps connected to oscilator, it might have needed to be a mica.
Other than that, are you getting stations? Is it squeling at all volumes, even all the way down?
Does squeling vary with tuning dial?
These types of things should help pin point if squeling is amplifier related, or radio related.
What type nos of tubes does this set use?
Wirring in some areas is crittical, and, occasionally the type of capacitor.
Make sure you eonnected every connection in the correct place, and,no short circuits.
The fact that you said fm is now dead, makes me suspicious.
Could be something got mis-wired, or, a short. Happens to the best of us.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4559
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bill57 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:40 pm

Bill, after reading your post I turned it on and found that the squeal will go away if I extremely fine tune onto the station. If it is slightly off the squeal is loud and goes up and down with volume but as I precisely tune onto another station it goes away. The eye tube does not change on or off station just stays burning bright. I try to keep leads short as I replace the caps but I did add wire to the three 50uf electrolytics. There are ten tubes-ECC85, EBF80, EF85, EBC41, EL84, EABC80, EZ80(replaced with 6V4), EL84, EZ80, ECH81(replaced with 6AJ8) plus the EM80 eye tube. All originals are Phillips made in Holland. I will go over everything and look for any mistakes.

bill57

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:36 pm

First, have you tested the tubes?
This sounds like either a bad tube, or, radio needs alignment...
Have you checked voltages coming out of B+ supply? Make sure they are what they should be at our line voltage.
If not, it's a power supply issue.
If they are close, and, I suspect they are, you need to realign the set according to correct alignment proceedure.
This is not unusual.
At lower voltage, the radio frequencies will be different.
Sounds to me like an alignment problem.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4559
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bill57 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:57 am

Thanks, Bill I'll keep at it. I'll check some more resistors and maybe substitute tubes. I have checked them but only on an emissions tester. My neighbor is German so maybe she can translate for me the alignment procedure on the schematic sheets and I'll check voltages. Thanks for your help. I've only been doing this for a couple years so this one has been a learning experience.

bill57

Back to top Go down

Post by denver on Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:00 am

Before you do anything else. Clean the tuning condenser
And blow it out with air. I Have a set it would squeal and go on. Cleaned the condenser with a small emory board.
Then blew it off good with air. Helped it .
denver

Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bill57 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:54 pm

I did blow out the tuning condenser which got some gunk out be did not resolve the problem. HOWEVER after some thinking about what Mr Corbin said about setting the radio to 125v would lower the voltage I tried something else. I checked the voltage going into the trans thru the dimbulb tester with a 60w bulb and I had 80 volts going in and about 140v coming out to the radio and it played fine. Directly from house current I had 123 volts going in and over 200v going out which caused the squeal and an eye tube about to blow. So it finally hit me to set the radio to 220 and all is well. Directly plugged into house current I have about 145v coming out of the trans and radio plays fine. FM reception is back but weak so I believe alignment will improve that. So I have concluded that the problem from the beginning is probably the transformer. So maybe it's not perfect but it plays well now and that works for me.

Thanks to everyone for advising on this. First radio I have had with a voltage problem. Maybe I'll know more where to look next time.

bill57

Back to top Go down

Post by denver on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:14 pm

Strange Ido not see how it could work . Putting in 120 volts
Switching to 220 volts . 220 is wired different . Phase agents another phase ect. Unless someone rewired the set
somehow . Don,t know can not work off both with just reg house current going in.
Rolling Eyes
denver

Back to top Go down

Post by denver on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Sorry about spelling . Just came in tired long day. Embarassed
denver

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:19 pm

Thats odd it would play on 220 volts!Must have been worked on so it would play on 220...It should work fine off 120 volts.Some sets used a bleeder resistor to drop voltage down ..Angelo : )

sprman

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by bill57 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:12 am

I guess the best way I can understand it in laymans terms is that I would say if you have this radio in Germany and the house current was 220 you would set the indicator on the back of the radio to 220 so that the trans would drop the voltage down to 140 for the rest of the radio. So my guess is that this trans isn't quite right so that set at 125 its not changing the voltage enough but set at 220 brings it down to where it needs to be. Its a huge transformer that sits on top and drops down below into the chassis with about 6 connections coming out. So all I think the dial on the back does is change the output of the trans and that trans must have some shorts in it. Set it at 110v or 125v and the dimbulb tester glows bright. Set it at 220 and the dimbulb tester does not come on at all. It would probably be less confusing if the indicator on the back just said increase or decrease voltage. All the wiring looks original as I believe it was made for use in the U.S.
It works well and looks good so I will leave it be for now unless I come across a junk one with a trans I could swap out. But then again maybe it is a resistor.

bill57

Back to top Go down

Post by denver on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:24 pm

The 220 side is for 220 only. If you lived in Europe you would set the indicator to 220. Here set it to 110v set the indicator to 110v. It will not work at all set at 220volts not suppose to any ways. Unless you run 220v to it. Smile
denver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2