LM3820 AM Superhet On A Chip.................

Go down

LM3820 AM Superhet On A Chip.................

Post by ve1arn on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:07 am

Hi all,

Just to keep some activity on the board going, thought I would seek ideas and opinions on this item here. I asked this same question on Dave Schmarder's site last year and got some decent replies.

B.G. Micro has these LM3820 IC's in a tube of 25 for $3. That's 12 cents a piece. Has anyone here toyed with these solid state items? I realize they are not tube related, but I enjoy tinkering with the simple stuff regardless if tube or solid state.

They were originally made for slug tuned auto radios. Just go to www.bgmicro.com and look up the chip.

The data sheet is here..........http://docs.bgmicro.com/pdf/lm3820.pdf

I'm looking forward to seeing what you folks can come up with.

Cheers for now, Bob
ve1arn

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: LM3820 AM Superhet On A Chip.................

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:03 am

I took a look at the spec sheet and it would require some time to make the external components. I think there are easier ways to arrive at less labor intensive project.

How would you make the coils and the slugs? Maybe if you made one of those and showed a step by step method of construction with pictures, it might inspire those up to the challenge.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:42 am

Well, for starters, here's the link from that thread on Dave's site, for some of the ideas that were mentioned.

http://theradioboard.com/rb/viewtopic.php?t=277&highlight=lm3820

I haven't gotten around to doing anything with them yet, but I'm starting to get curious about them again after coming across them again in my stash the other day.

Cheers for now, Bob
ve1arn

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:51 am

ve1arn wrote:Hi all,

Just to keep some activity on the board going, thought I would seek ideas and opinions on this item here. I asked this same question on Dave Schmarder's site last year and got some decent replies.

B.G. Micro has these LM3820 IC's in a tube of 25 for $3. That's 12 cents a piece. Has anyone here toyed with these solid state items? I realize they are not tube related, but I enjoy tinkering with the simple stuff regardless if tube or solid state.

They were originally made for slug tuned auto radios. Just go to www.bgmicro.com and look up the chip.

The data sheet is here..........http://docs.bgmicro.com/pdf/lm3820.pdf

I'm looking forward to seeing what you folks can come up with.

Cheers for now, Bob

While I have nothing to offer on transistors vs tubes, other than my preference for tubes, I am pleased to see the old sprit of home brew continue.I aplaud everyone of you that continues the old hobby of experimenting to see what you can do.
Kee[ up the good work.
I wish we'd also hear more from our friend exray. He's a knowledge bank of know how on home brew.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4582

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:06 am

Thanks for the comments folks.

When it comes to tinkering with homebrew stuff, either solid state, tube or crystal stuff, I like the simple, crude setups. What can I catch with the least setup?

In a way, I use the same principle when I work ham stations. While my HF set is a Kenwood TS-820S, I use no amp, no tuner, and all my contacts have been with a home made dipole that I operate on 5 bands with. I just enjoy this kind of challenge. The tube finals in this rig make that possible. As long as I keep the ALC within its limits, all is OK even though my power levels may be down more than if I had a properly tuned setup.

Lately though, I've been getting the urge to make a few permanent listening sets on nice wood bases or on chassis of whatever material I can gather here. When I came across these LM3820's, it just got me wondering again what I could do with them, both for experimenting and for a regular set to listen to once in a while. That's why I asked here for ideas and/or opinions.

Cheers for now, Bob Very Happy
ve1arn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down