So, what is this place all about?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So, what is this place all about?

Post by Tony Wells on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:09 am

I figured that would draw attention! I decided to come on over to this side of the street and see how it's done over here. I see many familiar names here. I hope I can learn here like I am learning at ARF. I have a feeling I will. I'll try not to kick up a fuss Wink

At least here, I don't to arrive by proxy. ARF is located on a server that apparently I am routed to through a node that doesn't like me. It is a little aggrevating.

About me, FWIW: I'm 50, male, Hungarian descent (half, anyway, the majority). I am by profession a manual machinist. I have my own small shop, although at the moment, it is idle. I should fix that. Since I was very young, I have played with electric and electronic "things". Fixed a few, fried a few.....all in the advance of my education. I am not the most knowledgeable about old radios, but I don't consider myself a dummy either. If I know something, I am sure. If I am not sure, I don't know. That's my understanding of the word know, and I stick with it.

I'm from the NE Part of Texas, part of the oilpatch. This is my home, born and raised. I've never lived anywhere else, and don't plan to. I have a HS education with a few college credits, plus lots of hard knocks. I am married and have one child, a daughter.

I guess that's about it. I'm a simple man. Thanks for having me here.

Regards to all.

Tony

Tony Wells

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down

Re: So, what is this place all about?

Post by denver on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:28 am

This is a nice place to learn . Just busy enough. Welcome
Have any sets . Best kind of man to be simple .
Denver. Very Happy
denver

Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:49 am

Welcome, my friend.... I love it here myself. Oh. I have to. I run the place! Laughing
Anyways, this is a nice place to stretch out, relaxe, and, enjoy yersel'.
Please post often.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Wells on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Bill. I plan to hang around a while and post as often as I can. If I get any more relaxed, I'll be comatose. Laid back as anyone can be.

Denver, I am just kind of rekindling this interest, so I don't have too much to play with yet. I have a Silvertone 141 series receiver/record lathe; a Hallicrafters S-38 (no letter); a Sentinel 293-W; a Philco 40-160 console; a Radiola III-A; an unknown GE 5 tube..... and I think that is all, except for a couple of test instruments that need service. I have a fair bench to work at. Also, for a friend, a Stewart-Warner 140 chassis wood radio on the bench now. I might post a progress thread on one of these as I get going a little better.
I'm still rounding up components for inventory, and always on the lookout for more projects and test gear! I haven't really decided whether to be a collector or just fix them and let other people enjoy them. Those I have on the list above are family handoffs, or keepers for other reasons.....except the Philco. It will get parted out. Cabinet is pretty much gone from water damage.

Tony Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by denver on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Iam kind of a philco man . I have a model 111 a 48-1253
49 -906 - a 37-93 and one emerson. Iwill get few more for
the long winter . Way to flipin busy at arf do not get a chance to answer anything . Rolling Eyes
denver

Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun May 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Hey, Tony, haven't seen you in quite awhile.
Come back, and, see the changes.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Wells on Mon May 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Hey Bill.......you're right. I haven't been around much. Well, I have visited, but didn't log in every time I came around. Had a really crummy weekend Internet wise. I have two separate means of getting online, and they both went down Friday, and just this afternoon got them going again. Been pretty busy with work, but as Spring turns to Summer, that will slack off some and I'll get back to the bench. The work on the bench right now isn't old radios, but newer stuff.....but it's stuff I get paid for, so I cant complain too much.

Glad you missed me. We'll have to get on the phone and shoot the breeze again sometime.

Tony Wells

Tony Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 13, 2013 10:43 pm

Pm me when you want, I'll give you my phone number. Or, you can send me your number if it csosts you to call.
Welcome back to the forums. Hoope you like the new look.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top