Volume control switch blues on a Koyo Parrot

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Volume control switch blues on a Koyo Parrot

Post by fifties on Mon May 03, 2010 2:33 am

I picked up a Koyo Parrot 4 tube portable off eBay and have restored it back to working condition, with one exception. The switch on the volume control is broken, meaning of course that I can't leave A and B batteries in it, or they will discharge.

It uses a trimpot similar to what are found in portable Transistor sets, but with two exceptions; it's rating is at one meg, whereas Transistor sets use 5K, and mechanically the shaft which holds and rotates the phenolic tab that breaks contact when in the off position is a slightly larger diameter than those of the 5K models.

I have tried enlarging the hole from a few pirated 5K control tabs in order to fit around the slightly larger shaft, but the darn things are just too small to make the rectangular opening larger.

If anyone might know of a source for a one megohm miniature trimpot, I would be ever so grateful, as I can't imagine what I might be able to manufacture that would securely attach to the shaft on the underside switch area of the volume control, to act as a circuit breaker.

The only other way that I can think of, is using a 5K modern day volume control with switch, IF I could add resistances to the three contacts, so that the rest of the circuit would still see one meg across.

Would anyone have an idea in this regard?

fifties

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Volume control switch blues on a Koyo Parrot

Post by anachronist on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:54 am

fifties: you can't use a 5K pot plus fixed resistors rather than original 1meg pot. The range of audio control will be ultra narrow.

anachronist

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:12 am

You may need to add an external switch.
Those types of pots are rare.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by fifties on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks guys; I was able to mechanically repair the switch after all. It's been so long ago though, I don't remember exactly what I did, lol.
fifties

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top