AIR CASTLE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AIR CASTLE

Post by VANT on Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:57 pm

First off let me say that I am not sure if I should have posted this here or in the Clubhouse section but here goes. I am not sure if I should even open up this can of worms but I will leave that up to ya'll. Second off I have not contacted the seller yet, I wanted to get this off my chest first. I have always been one of those types of people that believes in counting to 10 and taking a deep breath before saying something in anger. Anyway I am getting a head of myself...
I purchased this AIR CASTLE radio from a seller whom shall remain nameless. It was advertised as a model 2071 which is an 11 tube radio. The seller stated it was a "top of the line" radio for 1937. I looked up the schematic and it has a pair of 6j7g audio amplifiers and a pair of 6v6g power amplifiers in push pull. It indeed would have been a top of the line radio for AIR CASTLE or any other radio for that matter. When I get it home and open up the box I find it has a simple 5 tube plus eye design. To top it off it is dead in the water. I get some crackle from the speaker but nothing else and that is with the volume turned all the way up. The eye tube is dim and unresponsive to boot. Did I mention it was suppose to be electronically restored! Now I know that during shipment things can come loose and there might be a simple solution to some of the problems but not all of them, besides this is clearly not a model 2071.
I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to repairing these radios. I have learned a lot these past few years and done some minor electrical and cosmetic repairs but since I don't have a strong electrical background there are some things that I am a little reluctant to tackle.
I am not sure where all this was suppose to lead to, maybe just to vent. I guess I will be asking a lot of questions in the near future in hopes of getting my so called model 2071 running. Any suggestions will be greatful.
Thanks for listening,
Vant

VANT

Number of posts: 57
Registration date: 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: AIR CASTLE

Post by sprman on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:44 pm

You should contact the seller and let him know what you paid for and got are 2 diffrent things.Ask for a refund,let the seller know the radios not working too.A 6 toober vs top of the line.Sorry to hear you did not get what you thought you paid for.A 6 toober should not be to hard to get playing.Sprman : )

sprman

Number of posts: 376
Registration date: 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by denver on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:59 pm

I would keep it good looking radio . recap it new resistors get a schamatic at nostalgia air.
probaly not much wrong with it . but i would still let him know maybe could recoop some of money.
Denver

denver

Number of posts: 405
Registration date: 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by denver on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:01 pm

oh 11 tube radio would be a big radio console maybe.
Ihave a philco highboy deluxe 11 tube its big.

denver

Number of posts: 405
Registration date: 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:08 pm

RCA made the 111-K, and 11 tube console, and, the 110-K, a 10 tube console. Neither is overly large. I think it depends more on the mannufacturer, and, how much else is put into a radio.
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill
Admin
Admin

Number of posts: 3582
Registration date: 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top