Beginning work.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Beginning work.

Post by Raymanretro on Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:55 pm

I`ve been around the radio scene a while and have collected several sets back when they were inexpensive, so I have about 10 small bakelite radios and ana 1950 RCA phono plus a few large radios. Which is the easiest to learn on? The small phono looks the simplest to my eye. I have also acumulated some of the equipment needed over the years. Yhe only things I need are an isolation transformer and a variac. I value some of the videos on Youtube that demonstrate repairs and it has encuraged me to try. I live in an old house that we are restoring and my radios are the only recreation I have, and not a lot of time at that. Thanks for your time, Donnie Very Happy
Raymanretro

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Beginning work.

Post by denver on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:46 pm

These old radio relax me some what .
Sometimes can be a pain. Mad Very Happy
denver

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:08 am

A simple 5 tuber would be a good place to start.They are built cheap so you may find IF trans are bad.They are great to learn on tho.Sprman : )

sprman

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by denver on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks Sprman checking out ebay . No of any good sites to buy radios . Something like ebay?
Denver
denver

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:16 pm

You should find one in a junk store flea mrket or at auction dont pay more than 5 to ten for one..Sprman Smile

sprman

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by jewel's old time radio's on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:45 pm

just take your time and dont get in a hurry

jewel's old time radio's

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:49 pm

If you see one first off smell them, if they have a burnt Odor then consider the transformer being bad, hard to replace. But a good parts radio otherwise. Always offer them low money, and say to them " as I will have to put effort and money to repair this before I can sell it as operational." If they aren't willing then walk away, then if still there a month later, proffer the same bid.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 989
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymanretro on Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:02 pm

THanks for the tips. RIF thats a good one because the burned smell is easy to detect. Most of mine I have only paid a dollar or two at small flea markets and yard sales. I have only bought one that was to be in "working" condition that went to a friend who made repairs before it was usable. I always default to the doubtful side and if they want to show proof, as in reciepts of work done then I would be more interested. Otherwise If I dont get my price I walk.
Raymanretro

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi,
Yes, walking away from a common set with a burned trans is probably best. But, then again, that smell of a burned trans could get you a desireable set really cheap.

Once you do a little more working on the sets, you'll see that trans replacement is not that bad.
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top