Is getting this "Kit" reasonable to get to start?

Go down

Is getting this "Kit" reasonable to get to start?

Post by Pred on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:27 am

Ok folks it is time to start with a radio and I was thinking of getting the post war kit for capacitors and then another of the electric capacitors.
Here is a link, Please tell me what you think !
I have two radios that I cant find diagrams for one of which i found today,
It is a Zenith 6a 05, I will try and get a pic in a couple of days.
Oh the link to the Cap kits.
Was thinking Kit 1A and 4A
http://www.justradios.com/capkits.html
Please any advice is appreciated.
Thank you
P&E

Pred

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Is getting this "Kit" reasonable to get to start?

Post by wrshamblinjr on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:57 am

I know that a lot of people use Just Radios, all the time. Personally, I think they are very high on price. The first kit (1A) has a lot of values that you will not run into, very often. For example, .0015, .0033, .0068... I don't know if those are Mallory 150's, but they look like they are. I had some real problems with the leads breaking off, recapping a Philco I worked on recently, using Mallory 150's. The lead thickness is just too thin for the kind of point to point wiring we do under the chassis. Sprague Orange Drops, or something similar, are much better.

It's a similar problem with kit 4A. I can almost guarantee you will never need an electrolytic cap rated for just 50 volts, in antique radio repair. They would be good for modern electronics, but not the old stuff. Also, if you ever need to restuff a top mounted can filter capacitor, you definitely do not want to use axial caps. You will need radials.

When I had some extra spending money, a while back, I went through a bunch of schematics, from Riders, and created a list of caps to keep in stock. It runs something like .001, .0022, .0047, .01, .022, .047, .1, .22, .47uf. I think 400 volts is enough, but try to get caps rated for 630 volts, if you can, to have some headroom in some circuits.

Another trick, to save on money, is to use a .022uf, where the schema calls for a .02uf. In most cases, you could probably even get a way with a .022uf, where the schema calls for a .015uf, unless it is part of a tuned circuit. Tuned circuits are really the only ones that require exact values. And, even then you will want to use silver mica caps.

For electrolytics, I got 10, 22, 47, and a few 100uf. You might want to pick up some 82uf as well. Most of these are in the 450 volt range. All the ones I got were radials. I got mine off of Ebay. You can put together a pretty good kit, using these values, and shopping on Ebay for each value. It's a little time consuming, but you will save way more than buying them from a mail order outfit. Don't be afraid to use some of the stuff, coming out of Russia, and other countries. I have used many of the Russian caps, in a bunch of restored sets. Some of these old Russian military components are of really good quality.

Just my opinion...

Thanks,
Bill Shamblin

wrshamblinjr

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by TimC on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:26 pm

I just got into the hobby and was wondering the same thing.
I went to Radiodaze.com and got their "all around" style kit as I have a wide range of radios to work on. Pre & Post war. Bill's info is accurate for sure but i was looking for a place to start in regards to stock. I happen to live near radio daze so that helped. Great bunch of guys.
Tim
TimC

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:50 pm

They've been in the business for some time, and, seem reputable to me.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4559
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by VANT on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:37 pm

You live near radiodaze? Very lucky!
----Vant
VANT

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down