Motorola Chassis 6-2 - Superheterodyne

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Motorola Chassis 6-2 - Superheterodyne

Post by rufuskane on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:28 pm

I am taking on the challenge of restoring this model radio - mfg. year 1943. The finished radio is a model 6T / 115V / 50-60 Cycles / 75 Watts.
Upon inspection the power cord was badly cracked and needs to be replaced. What I don't know is proper way to begin inspection without damaging the radio. If anyone has any patience I am interested in learning. I don't want to simply replace the power supply cord and create a larger problem by just plugging it in. Any help would be great.
Thanks.

rufuskane

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Motorola Chassis 6-2 - Superheterodyne

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:51 pm

First of all, the power supply electrolytics will need neplacing. They tend to dry out, and, short.
Next, the paper capacitors get electrically leaky, and, need replacing, You should also check all your tubes to make sure you have a good set of tubes in it.
Also, several of the mannufacturers also used at least some rubber wirring, which the insulation tends to rot, crack, and, flake off, which can cause nasty short circuits.
I would never reccommend just plugging it in without a proper inspection, and, restoration first.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfred Corbin on Thu May 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Before recapping, I would cautiously try it on a Variac or give it a dim bulb test. You might find it works, at least to some extent, and then you could make all the replacements under careful control. In the very worst case, it's not likely you could do much damage by application of limited power for a second.

Alfred Corbin

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by denver on Thu May 13, 2010 10:55 pm

Your set is a 6t you will need a schematic. it is herewww.nostalgiaair.org Order capaciters here www.vacuumtubesinc.com and anything else you need speedy delivery . This is a great place will get plenty of help . Welcome aboard . Very Happy
denver

Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Fri May 14, 2010 7:55 pm

http://antiqueradio.org/begin.htm is a great site to help you learn the basics. The Motorolas are usually pretty simple beginner sets, they're well layed out and easy to work on. As Bill said, replace the rotted or corroded wire, caps and bad resistors. I also recommend adding a fuse and a polarized plug for a little added safety. Just a little heads up, Motorolas are very sensitive to electrical noise. I can't use either of mine within about 15 feet of a computer (even after replacing ALL of the wiring, caps & resistors).
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top