Current invertor

Go down

Current invertor

Post by ChrisWhewell on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi, I'd like to make an invertor to turn 12V DC into AC for a solar panel invention I have. If you go to this link

http://www.cbtricks.com/Amp/palomar/150/index.htm

there is a schematic for the palomar 150. In the lower right side are two power transistors 2N4048 in a circuit with some caps and a transformer. I'm not real bright on this stuff, but I can sense that these two transistors work together to form some sort of alternating voltage that is then stepped up and rectified for use in plate bias. Is it a simple matter for me to just borrow a section of this schematic and build an invertor ?
I'm really close to fully understanding the circuit, maybe I just need to think about it a little more or maybe someone out there can offer a simple explanation ? I'd like to know what frequency it oscillates at.

ChrisWhewell

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Current invertor

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:47 am

Here's a link that may help you understand it;

Click on this

It is a multi-vibrator (DC to Pulsed DC or AC) in essence, first one transistor turns on for a definitive time then turns off and the other transistor turns on and it repeats the cycle. The output current (low voltage) is fed into a step-up transformer (looks like 700V)
Then there is a bridge circuit that rectifies it back to DC (Hi-voltage) with Diode across each transistor to dampen spikes. Just a guess as my solid-state training is a little rusty after 15 years.
You do realize that it is for 150 watts output so the input has to be more depending on the efficiency of the circuit, and not too many solar panels will handle that kind of power?
just 100 watts at 12 volts would be aprox 12 amps so 150w would be 15amps. ballpark mind you. affraid
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisWhewell on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:59 am

Thanks alot. Its so simple I can't believe I even asked.

ChrisWhewell

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:59 pm

Hey Im happy you asked. An inquiring mind is a thing of wonderful design. Thats what Thomas Edison was all about.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisWhewell on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:37 pm

the question now becomes, how to vary the switching frequency and hence the frequency of the AC generated - I suppose it boils down to the RC time constants.

ChrisWhewell

Back to top Go down

Post by denver on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:15 pm

http://www.truckforum.org/forums/chevy-truck-forum/25109-no-brake-lights.html
denver

Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down