WEIRD EYE-TUBE RESPONCE

Go down

WEIRD EYE-TUBE RESPONCE

Post by VANT on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Ok, Here's one for you. This photo of an eye-tube came from my Truetone model D-692 (late version). As you can see the dark and light green colors are reversed. It works just fine though. It is nice and bright and very responsive it's just that the colors are reversed! What could cause this? I thought it might be the 1meg resistor in the eye-tube socket but would that cause this kind of color switch? It's just a plain old 6g5 eye-tube.
---Vant
VANT

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: WEIRD EYE-TUBE RESPONCE

Post by Timaaay on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:59 pm

I've been watching for a reply as I have no clue. Have you made any head-way? I'd be very interested in what the outcome is.
Timaaay

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by VANT on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:52 am

Hey Timaaay,
Well I guess I will substitute a known good 6g5 eye-tube and see what happens. I was just a little curious if anyone has ever seen this before.
---Vant
VANT

Back to top Go down

Post by VANT on Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Well I finally got around to substituting a good 6g5 eye-tube. It works like it should now. I guess this particular eye-tube could have been acting this way from the beginning. My question now is should I leave it the way it is? After all it is very unique!
---Vant
VANT

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Maybe the tube was wired wrong.I dont have a pin out of it but that could be the cause.Sprman.

sprman

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by VANT on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:45 am

You could be right sprman. I still have a lot to learn about tube radio repair. Chances are good this particular eye-tube has been acting this way ever since it left the factory. Do you think the warranty is still good?! I am leaning toward keeping it the way it is, after all it is kind of neat to look at and isn't that what it is suppose to do? Whats funny is that even after 65 or 70 years folks are still amazed at that little green glowing light!
VANT

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Yes many say something when they see one lit up.Once saw a circuit for a eye tube that you built as a lamp it glowed green.People seem to like to watch it move ect.Sprman Cool

sprman

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Timaaay on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:13 pm

I wish my eyes lasted as long as some of these eye tubes. Very Happy
Timaaay

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by rojoknox on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Greetings from FixitLand!

That eye tube looks like it's spent 99-44/100% of its life displaying an "open wink" -- used-up phosphor! I've seen less-severe instances of that same malady.

Take care,
--
J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"

rojoknox

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by VANT on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:18 pm

I posted this question to Howard Mariotti over at his web site ( http://magiceyetubes.com/ ) and it seems as though J.E.. Knox gets the prize for getting this one right. Not that I doubted you. I will post Howard's response here: "What you are seeing with your Truetone is a magic eye tube that spent much time on, but without any signal to close the shadow. This would happen if the 1 megohm resistor was bad for a considerable amount of time. What took place then was gradual degradation of the illuminated area, while the shadow area maintained it's original luminous capability. My guess would be that if you shined a bright light on this tube (with the radio off) you would see that the shadow area of the target is a slightly lighter gray than the rest of the target."
Thanks J.E. KNOX and HOWARD MARIOTTI!!
---Vant
VANT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down