WEB SITE

Go down

WEB SITE Empty WEB SITE

Post by VANT on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:16 pm

I AM A LITTLE CURIOUS. I WAS WONDERING HOW MUCH IT COSTS IN BOTH TIME AND MONEY TO START UP A NICE WEB SITE TO DISPLAY MY RADIO COLLECTION? I KNOW IT CAN VARY DEPENDING ON PHOTOS AND PAGE CONTENT...ETC. I HAVE SEEN SOME VERY NICE SITES WITH A LOT OF PHOTOS OUT THERE BUT DO NOT KNOW HOW TO GET STARTED. I HAVE TO ADMIT I AM NOT THE MOST COMPUTER LITERATE PERSON AROUND.
---VANT
VANT
VANT

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

WEB SITE Empty Re: WEB SITE

Post by ve1arn on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:32 am

Lots of views but no comments, so I'll give you my own experiences. My provider allows me 10 MG of free web space for 'non-commercial' material.

The biggest problem I have found is not so much building the pages but in keeping them up to date. Especially if you provide links to other sites. Mine is in need of a major update. I'm thinking of removing a lot of the links just for that reason.

The next biggest thing to consider is the size of the photos you want to post. I have the added problem that I am still stuck with a dial up connection. Any site I go to with a lot of photos, take forever to download to my computer. So keep that in mind when posting photos.

I use Microsoft's Front Page to do my site, but there are other programs out there that will do the job for you just as good. On line sites that give you free space sometimes have their own page designing capabilities to help you. The only drawback with those sites is that you have to accept the ads that they put on your page. That's the price of having 'free' hosting. 8c)

So as far as cost, for me anyway, cash wise is nothing. Time wise though, it will take as much time as you want to give it.

Not sure if this helps or not, but I figured I would post my thoughts since you asked. If you have any other questions as well, just ask. I'll answer what I can for you.

Cheers for now, Bob
ve1arn
ve1arn

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by VANT on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:47 am

Hey ve1arn,
Thanks for the reply. I guess I just need to bite the bullet and start photographing the radios. In order to do it right I guess I need to drag them outside to photograph them. Next I need to write something about each one of them such as model / date and maybe a little story about them. Like you said it will take as much time as I feel the need to put in it. I am not the most computer knowledgeable person around so maybe I will enlist my 13 year old daughter!
---Vant
VANT
VANT

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Your 13 year old? Hey ..... when the experts are around, take advantage of it! Very Happy

What got me started doing my own computer work was being frustrated when I didn't know what to do myself. Having to wait till my expert finished his grade 10 homework to get my system worked on is a humbling experience for sure.

For what it's worth, my pages are definitely not the classiest, but it might give you some ideas........
http://home.tallships.ca/bobc/vintage.htm

I just made sure i had good lighting. Sometimes, I used my Paint Shop Pro to clear them up as well.

Take your time, I'm sure you'll come up with pages that you will like.

Cheers for now, Bob
ve1arn
ve1arn

Back to top Go down

Post by VANT on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:42 am

Hey ve1arn,
Thanks for the help and advise. To tell you the truth I sometimes have to get my daughter to reprogram my cell phone!
I have been to your web site before... very nice. I guess I will start working on it sometime after the new year.
---Vant
VANT
VANT

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Thanks for the comments on my page. I do need to make some needed changes though. I'm way overdue.

If you need some help graphic wise, let me know, I'll see what I can do for you.

Happy Holidays in the meantime.............. Bob
ve1arn
ve1arn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down