Socket cleaning

Go down

Socket cleaning

Post by narrowfarm on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:06 pm

Hello I have a Philco 50-926 and noticed that one of the sockets for one of the tubes looks like its discolored from aging.I would like to clean the socket.Whats tool and or brush would i use? Contact cleaner?? thanks john

narrowfarm

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-10-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Socket cleaning

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:47 am

Idea
If its just age discoloration, use a scribe and scratch the outside of the pin where there is no contact with the tube pin? If so, can you see bright shiny metal? If so it is just minor oxidation.That being the case, you could try a pipe cleaner with rubbing alcohol as a start to remove any oils, then you could try brasso metal polish and cleaner, on a clean pipe cleaner. Then re-clean with alcohol.

If that doesn't work then:
Does it show on only one Socket pin?

Proceed to check the solder connection on that pin. It may be bad. If its a bad connection or not a tight pin contact, that might have lead to the overheating and discoloration. As a last resort you can use a solution of vinegar and salt it acts as a copper and silver cleaner and should restore the bright silver color.

Be sure to rinse with clear water to remove the salt. Or you will get further corrosion. No
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:53 pm

I also understand that Pipe tip cleaners for gas welding torches work also.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down