new member looking

View previous topic View next topic Go down

new member looking

Post by narrowfarm on Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:38 pm

Hello i am a new member.I am a RF technician in electronics and i am looking for a n antique radio in a wood case with a tunning eye. Any idea on the make and model that would be good and to fine parts availability? thanks john

narrowfarm

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-10-31

Back to top Go down

Re: new member looking

Post by Timaaay on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:47 pm

There are great resources for a lot of repro parts out there. What style of radio are you most interested in? Tombstone, cathedral, console? I can make some suggestions if I know what area you are interested in. Philco radios were very popular and parts are readily available. Are you looking for a working radio or one that may need repair. I, personally don't care about the electrical integrity as much as the cabinet condition. I don't like working with veneer!
Timaaay

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:16 am

You can find some on Craigslist in your area some with photos.Many out there if you know where to look.Tabletop/console multitube sets.Start out simple and go from there,Zenith,Philco,RCA,GE,are just some of the ones you run across.Good luck.Sprman : )

sprman

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Philco 48-461

Post by narrowfarm on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Well i saw a philco 48-461 am radio at a guys house and i did like the way it looked so i purchased it from him. The radio did work for the most part,missing knobs and the case just had to be slightly refinished.i did pay alot for it.I even found out on the internet how much the guy paid for the radio i bought from him and what his shipping was on ebay.Yea he made a few bucks off of me.He got me once but never again. After i got it home and did some reseach on the radio.I found all six tubes on the internet(NOS) and i believe it may need a few caps changed.I made new knobs that i think came out great,parts from radio shack and Lowes.Knobs look old now but are new.Its a great project and i am learning.Youtube seems to have some good videos on repairing old radios.I bought the schematic and book for this radio.I listen to 740am and sometimes the station will fade out and than come back in.I am going to look in to that issue.Any ideas? I can see this hobby being very addicting! I love the way the radio lights up at night. thanks john

narrowfarm

Back to top Go down

Post by bill57 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Hey, John, Welcome to the hobby and this forum. Good luck on your recent purchase. The 48-461 does have a nice looking dial glass.Yes, this hobby is VERY addicting. I started with a Philco 46-480 2 years ago. Wanted a 40's radio after listening to old radio programs for years. I was really hooked after getting this one going with no electronics background. I just got my 45th radio last weekend. Just can't get enough. You will find the more you get into it the more you will learn how much to pay for one and how much to put into it. Personally, I like to find them in sad shape and bring them back to life. There are many resources for parts and info. This and other forums will be very helpful to you.

bill57

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by narrowfarm on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi thanks for the response. My 48-461 is a very nice looking radio and i play it every night before i hit the bed.It lights up the room with a very nice glow from it. i just purchased a Philco 50-926 for a much better price.FM works but AM doesnt so i will try to fix that than clean up the case which is in pretty good shape.Do you work with the wood cases??as to replacing the veneer.Any advice on material?I have seen some really rough looking radios but right now prefer to get ones that dont work somewhat and look ok to get into the hobby.I am pretty good at wood work. 45 radios!! where do you put them all?? LOL I would like to get up to maybe five.i would like to get one with the tunning eye oneday!!.....john

narrowfarm

Back to top Go down

Post by bill57 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:27 pm

Well, John, already you have your second one. You will come across more. I get my best buys at flea markets. Usually people just think they are junk. I pick them up for a couple bucks sometimes. Antique malls are usually too pricey. If there are any radio clubs in your area, I would suggest joining. The clubs usually have radio auctions with great deals and a lot of assistance. I do prefer the wood radios and enjoy restoring them. I have been lucky that I haven't had to replace large pieces of veneer but I have one now that needs a lot of curved veneer replaced so I will be looking for a source and will have to learn how to do it. My 45 radios is just a drop in the bucket compared to some members here that probably top 200. Just need lots of shelves!! So keep looking(which is half the fun) and you will run across one with the tuning eye. Some web sites I can suggest are Radioatticarchives to see a photo of a radio, Nostalgiaair for free schematics, Philcoradio for anything you need to know on a Philco including a Philco Phorum. Check them out.....Bill

bill57

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

power supplies

Post by Bruce Ruttan on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi I am a new member also. I inherited a lot of old radios from my dad who past away about 3 years ago. I have been trying to fix some, but I don't know a lot about electronics .I am trying to learn. It is very addictive as you say John. I have a lot that need batteries so would like to find out power supplies.(90-45-22-1/2 etc.)if anyone can give me diagram (easy steeps) as I said I have little to none electronic experience. I just finished getting just about all of the Riders Manuals. I have volume 1 to 21. so this should help in fixing them once I learn the electronics part of it. I have a brother-in-law who knows this stuff and will help once in awhile. I have over 85 floor models that I have not even looked at. I have some pieces I don't know what they do. Lots of test equipment .I am not good with a computer either. I have to get niece and friends help show me how to add attachments at times also.
Thanks Bruce

Bruce Ruttan

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by narrowfarm on Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi Bruce, if i could help in anyway ,i will. Where are you located?? I just found some test equipment myself that my dad use to use to test tubes and caps with,B&K model 747.I am going to try that out soon myself.
Any pictures?? thanks Bruce and good luck......john

narrowfarm

Back to top Go down

newbe

Post by Bruce Ruttan on Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi John
I live in Kingston Ontario .I joined a few radio clubs,one in Ottawa and another in B.C. It would be nice to find members close to talk with and learn from.

Bruce Ruttan

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top