Hello, New to this forum.....Found my great grandfathers Zenith B835E....(pics)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello, New to this forum.....Found my great grandfathers Zenith B835E....(pics)

Post by redsoxvw on Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:58 pm

As the title states Im new here, and I was given my great grandfathers favorite table radio....Its a Zenith B835E, it does power up and work, could use some touching up ( cloth tears, maybe refinish the cabinet)......I would like to restore it to better then new condition . I figure Id ask on here for some pointers before I did something to remove from the value of this one.

I plan on keeping it until Im in the dirt LOL (at 32 it might be a while KNOCK ON WOOD), Then someone else can take over. I do however enjoy sipping a Bourbon and listning to a ball game on the a.m side......( go RED SOX).....This will most likely be this Zeniths primary function for me. Well here are a few pics, and I look forward to chatting you guys...........

redsoxvw

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-09-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello, New to this forum.....Found my great grandfathers Zenith B835E....(pics)

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:35 am

Welcome to the forums. This is a blonde finnish case, and, there is alto involved to the work. Unless you know the process, which includes bleaching, I'd clean it up, and, call it good enough.
Not sure what to tell you on the grill cloth.
Now, on the electronics...
It should have a total restoration, including replacing paper capacitors, selenium rectifier, and, electrolytics in the power supply.
When properly restored these are good playing radios with nice sound.
I've always been impressed with them. FM reception on them tends to be very good.
AM is a little noisy, though. But, good, none the less.
Please see our tutorial department if you are new to restorations.
Even if not.....
Best of luck.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4539
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello, New to this forum.....Found my great grandfathers Zenith B835E....(pics)

Post by redsoxvw on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks Bill for your reply. From what Im reading, this model has a decent sound but is on the lower end price wise. So Im not to worried about the finish being restored to original now. Im thinking of removing all the finish on it now and sanding and refinishing a darker color......Im currently reading up on the ins and outs of restoring the electronics........Again thanks for you input. Kind regards, Eric

redsoxvw

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top