Hi, I'm new to the forum...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi, I'm new to the forum...

Post by RustyFuryIII on Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:29 pm

I recently picked up at a yard sale a Zenith Model T350, Chassis 7M07 tube radio. My first foray into the tube radio world. My goal is to someday own a '50s or '60s era, RCA Victrola monorual record player. Can't remember the exact year of my mothers player, but I'll notice it when I see it. Baby steps first though...

Back to the radio, on the bottom of the radio is a piece of paper that says... Patented in Canada by Zenith Radio Corporation in one of the following years 1946, 1949, 1950, 1951. Then a date in small print, 1-30-59, I suspect that to be the production date for the radio?

I opened up the rear of the chassis and found the inside to be loaded with decades of dust. Nothing burned or damaged. All tubes are present. However, when I turn it on I get a mid to low frequency hum (AC noise?). The pots for the volume and tone control are dirty and need to be cleaned. I've read somewhere that the selenium rectifier could be bad. Also that I should replace all of the paper/wax caps, resistors etc. What contact cleaner would you recommend for the volume and tone controls?

If anyone has anymore info to throw my way I'd greatly appreciate it. If I needed tubes, is there a hobbyist or a company out there still supplying them?

Thank you,
RustyFuryIII

RustyFuryIII

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi, I'm new to the forum...

Post by Tony V on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:26 pm

Welcome to TRF!
-Tony
Tony V

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:47 pm

Welcome to our forums....

Any selenium should be replaced, as well as paper capacitors, and, electrolytics. Sounds lke your electrolytics are going south.
Not familiar with this model set, but, sounds like that year is about right.
Be very careful if you haven't done any radio restoration yet.
We have an excellent beginner's tutorial section here that should get you started.
Good luck.
Bill Cahill Smile

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordon on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:11 am

Tubes and parts are available from a lot of differant sources. Some in Canada and mostly in the States. Some parts can be found through members here or at least a friendly point in the right direction.
Gordon

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top