Favorite Radio

Go down

Favorite Radio Empty Favorite Radio

Post by CrystalRadioMan on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:32 pm

Besides building crystal radios, I like to repair/restore old tube radios.

My favorite type of radio for my personal collection would be almost any AM or AM/SW wooden case radio. I like the ones which are about the size of a bread box and have octal tubes.

What type of radio do you prefer? Maybe you prefer something besides a radio which is discussed on this board. What might that be?
CrystalRadioMan
CrystalRadioMan

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2017-02-08

Back to top Go down

Favorite Radio Empty Re: Favorite Radio

Post by Tony V on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:32 pm

I like all kinds and styles of radio's but most of my collection is bakelite radio's that are made just before or just after WWII. My collection is all over the place otherwise from wooden table top sets to consoles to combo unit's. My favorite brand is Bendix due to my first couple i repaired were those. My favorite ones to work on are what others refer to as basket cases. I like a challenge. The radio that started it all for me is the Bendix pictured below and is one of my favorites because of that.

Favorite Radio Bendix11

Last edited by Tony V on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 706
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Walker on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:59 am

I would have to say that my favorite radios are consoles.
I know they take up a lot of space, but they have a presence in a room.
Tombstones are also on my list as something I like.
My favorite radio is my Rogers 10-12 console, an I have it in my dining room.
Dan in Calgary

Favorite Radio All_fi10

Favorite Radio All_fi11

Favorite Radio Done_r10

Dan Walker

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2015-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Beautiful radio Dan, like the rest of the radio's in your collection. I would have more in mine if i had the room.
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 706
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:54 am

Indeed, beautiful. My favorites are the bakelite Bendix radios.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4392
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:52 am

Guess my personal favorite is an Emerson CQ289. A 1939 model that my mum bought in 1940 and I still have. Needs to be recapped and cleaned up inside.

I have a couple of others as well that I am partial to just because of how they look. I don't seem to have any favorite brand, at the moment anyway. Smile
ve1arn
ve1arn

Number of posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:09 am

Pictures, please??

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:22 pm

Here is a link to mine. Favorite as it performs well and I don't know of anyone else that has one! The poor guy got into radios (tube) a little late in the game!
Jerry
https://radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=7404

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:11 pm

Well, did the countless handful of loyal followers of this thread get the link and see the picture? Any response would let me know the linked worked and there was someone looking on this forum. I know, it is not a Philco or a Zenith or anything any one out there knows of. Laughing

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:42 pm

Nice radio Jerry. I have not seen that model nor any in late design with a drop front like that. I did once have a drop front Radiola Superhetrodyne but that is a 20's radio.

Hardly anything to look at the favorite of mine is a G-E Superadio. I have had it for years and play it with batteries. It is the one I reach for to find radio interference. I could say it is more utilitarian...

Chas
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Thermionic_Emission on Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:34 pm

CrystalRadioMan wrote:
What type of radio do you prefer?
Well, my favorite set is the EH Scott Philharmonic.  I have about 7 of them.  I think the attraction is the complexity of them, along with their good looks (though most of the EH Scott offered cabinets are not very attractive).  Working on simple stuff bores me.  I have only recapped an AA5 several times and have no desire to do another.  Besides the Philharmonic, I have several of the higher end Zenith's which I also like because of their good looks.  Moving on beyond radios, I like my test equipment too.  For example, I have about 7 or 8 signal generators.  I know I only need one, but acquiring test equip is an addiction like collecting radios.  My test equip is all more modern solid state, mostly better quality HP or Tektronix.

Thermionic_Emission

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2019-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:21 pm

Thermionic_Emission wrote:
CrystalRadioMan wrote:
What type of radio do you prefer?
Well, my favorite set is the EH Scott Philharmonic.  I have about 7 of them.  I think the attraction is the complexity of them, along with their good looks (though most of the EH Scott offered cabinets are not very attractive).  Working on simple stuff bores me.  I have only recapped an AA5 several times and have no desire to do another.  Besides the Philharmonic, I have several of the higher end Zenith's which I also like because of their good looks.  Moving on beyond radios, I like my test equipment too.  For example, I have about 7 or 8 signal generators.  I know I only need one, but acquiring test equip is an addiction like collecting radios.  My test equip is all more modern solid state, mostly better quality HP or Tektronix.
Gee, I never gave a though about the Scott? It sits in the corner with a Hallicrafters portable on top. Not that I haven't had it playing but I like diversity in the collection.

I would have claimed My Zenith 53 as tops but that, too sits in the corner with the Spring Bok lamp on top.

O.T. Favorite party tools for the bench? Na.. I much prefer old school with the colorful Deco steel cabinets. I am a fan of using a master oscillator and zero beat for calibration. Old, old school instruments, a G-R portable field strength meter with a galena crystal detector, has all the plug-ins including the 25,000 meter coil Shocked

Chas
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Thermionic_Emission on Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:17 pm

Chas, what EH Scott do you have?

I like punching in a frequency and getting on with my work.  That said, I normally use my Boonton 103D for alignments.  It doesn't have a keypad, but it does have a digital display which is nothing more than a frequency counter built in.  Zero beating, not for me Rolling Eyes   Maybe because my formal electronics education was all solid state with an emphasis on microprocessors- way back in the early to mid 80's.  The only thing solid state that I "collect" is lab grade test equipment.  Anything audio has to be hollow state, and my TV's are all  1950 or earlier, though I have no pre-war TV's- way too expensive for me.

Thermionic_Emission

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2019-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:28 pm

Nice link. Thanks very much........

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:31 pm

Well, my favorite set is the EH Scott Philharmonic. I have about 7 of them.

That is amazing! I have restored 3 of the 800Bs and they are great radios. All off to my friends. Liking orphans, I have a Scott 16A also known as the Metropolitan. An 800B without the push button power tuning and the short wave. A great receiver that is overlooked. See what happens Bill when people ask questions that are interesting?
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down