What's happening to TRF?

Go down

What's happening to TRF? Empty What's happening to TRF?

Post by CrystalRadioMan on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:40 pm

Every time I check in, I find I'm the only one here! When I look at the posting dates many threads have the last post in 2018! Is this site about to close down? I hope not!
CrystalRadioMan
CrystalRadioMan

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2017-02-08

Back to top Go down

What's happening to TRF? Empty Re: What's happening to TRF?

Post by Tony V on Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:04 pm

No, it's not shutting down but we have been racking our brains as to why there isn't much if anything going on here anymore. There are plenty of people joining on a daily basis but that's where it stop's. No comments from anyone. We have asked repeatedly if there is anything we can do to improve the site...dead silence. We have posted bunches of topic's to comment on..the post's show plenty of views but again...dead silence. We are at whit's end on what to do as the members overall don't want to participate. I want to thank the few posters such as Dan, Chas and you for your occasional post's. I don't know what else to say...any idea's?
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:29 pm

I like to help but frankly, no one is posting on this site for help. I check daily. Why, I don't know. Frankly, some of the posters that get no response post as well on other sites and get a lot.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jukeboxman on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:14 pm

If any of you have sugestions we will be happy to listen --cant answer questions if they are never asked.

jukeboxman
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:07 pm

I have the latest Firefox Browser, but a few version ago the "NEW TAB" opens with a page of favorites (links with images made from the Favicon or a compressed image of the target page)

I ignored this option for a while at first as I did not know those links could be edited to be what I wanted.

The very latest version allowed me to install 24 favorites.

Top row is all the Forums I frequent.  I like to reply to specific topics ( I suppose we all do). So, if a Forum is 'empty" I will move on. I set the link to "new posts" so I don't miss anything.

I seldom post "out of the blue" Having worked in radio all my life and a lot of other jobs, I seldom need help...(sorry)...

FWIW  Retired 10ya, did a year or so consulting. Now at home I find the work never lets up... I have no idea how I found time for my radio hobby when I was working. That said there has been nothing new on the bench in the last three years. I finished up a Zenith 53, so I thought, it is working but I left the old dog bones in, mistake, one or more are current sensitive and change value as the set warms up. Volume and sensitivity drop dramatically.

But my bench is very, very cluttered, so I need to clear the bench before I can put up the Zenith.

Other non-radio projects?

I want to build another "Saw Buck, I designed and built one 10YA of kiln dried scrap 2 x x4's it is now getting a bit shaky. The sawbuck folds flat. I am enlarging the design slightly so there will be no waste lumber and will use pressure treated with either stainless or coated Torx drive screws...

I have also revived my film photography but that is going slowly...

So O.T. as usual there is the start of a new topic.

What are you working on when your not working on radio???

Chas
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:37 pm

Besides radio's, I work on old tv's from the 60's and earlier and also phonographs, jukeboxes, clocks, ect. Right now i'm working on a Wurlitzer 1250 78rpm jukebox. I have it working great now but the cosmetic's still need to be done. I just finished a Victor I outside horn phonograph. I also finished an Edison model D standard cylinder machine which i posted in the phonograph section on here. Basically i enjoy repairing anything that i can bring back to working condition.
Tony V
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:26 pm

I picked up an Edison 2 minute machine some 11ya. I'd like to find a kit, original or replica to make it into a convertible machine 2/4min. The "older" 2-min cylinders are often rotted, the blue Amberols seem to be in much better condition....

Chas
Chas
Chas

Back to top Go down

Post by CrystalRadioMan on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Sometimes you have to get people started on a related topic just to get them talking.

I'll try and start a couple of new topics in the clubhouse to see if it will work here.
CrystalRadioMan
CrystalRadioMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Polaraligned on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:11 pm

Well, my opinion is that there are waaay too many subforums. Cut it down to just one that covers all, and then let the action build up there and then add subforums as needed. The few posts are spread out over too wide of an area and it turns people off and stifles discussion.

Polaraligned

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:23 pm

I agree that there are a few that could be done away with or combined. We will work on that and see what we can do. Thank's for the input!
Tony V
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:30 pm

Well, we have freshened the forum up a bit by getting rid of a few categories and combining a couple others. We still will be freshening up the category descriptions so it will be clearer on what's in each. The whole purpose is for all of us to have an easy to navigate friendly forum and hopefully start conversation again. Thanks CrystalRadioMan for jump starting this and to Polaraligned for the suggestion. Any more input to improve the forum will gladly be accepted and considered. Thank's again!
Tony V
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:42 am

Polaraligned wrote:Well, my opinion is that there are waaay too many subforums.  Cut it down to just one that covers all, and then let the action build up there and then add subforums as needed.  The few posts are spread out over too wide of an area and it turns people off and stifles discussion.
You can "get around" searching the sub forums by always coming into TRF via this link:

http://www.tuberadioforum.com/search?search_id=newposts

That way you see all the posts that had been made.

I do the same for all forums (boards) I belong too. ARF , TRB, ARL, Philco, I use the "New Tab" feature of FireFox with these form tabs in the top row. That way I don't miss anything. He,he I also see some folks who are "desperate" for help and post to multiple boards...

Oh, be sure your browser is accepting cookies for the sites. The cookies tell the server what is "new" for your session.

GL for now...

Chas
Chas
Chas

Back to top Go down

Post by Antiqueradios.com Forum on Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:46 am

A couple of friendly suggestions:

First, you need to have a distinct personality. Your main "competition" was successful beause 20 years ago, it was first forum that was aimed at the radio collecting community. Other successful radio forums since then (such as the Philco Phorum) target a subset or a specific aspect of the whole community.

This site is basically a copy of the antiqueradios.com forums. That's a big problem. You are targeting the same set of people, offering the same thing, except for popularity. A question posted here might get a single response or two. The the other may easily get more than a dozen responses. You're only going to overcome this issue by differentiating yourself in some manner.

Secondly, you have way too many categories. Antiqueradios.com started with four or five categories and then split one off once traffic demanded it. You should consider merging all the radio categories (starting block, general discussions, transistor sets, home brew, etc.) into one "Radio Discussions" category. When enough posts about one thing, say transistor sets, are being posted, then create a new section. This will help give the appearance of more traffic just because sporatic posts are no longer spread out.

One last thing, which may just be me, and is beyond your control, is that it is really hard to register here. It took me a couple of hours, with user names being rejected (like my own name), and email addresses being rejected as "invalid", as well as the CAPTCHA seemingly caught in a loop and having to identify street lights, taxis, crosswalks, fire hydrants, more crosswalks, storefronts, busses, more street lights, and so on. Probably around 15 challenges before not being able to successfully registration.

In fact, one registration did go through that had returned an error. I only found out by the email that was sent, which contained a link that appeared not to work.

Antiqueradios.com Forum

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:17 am

This forum came about because of both software and hosting issues with ARF a long time ago. Many users here are regular visitors to other forums.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Setting a bookmark to the site as I had described will allow any user to see all that is going from just one click.

The registration problem is Captcha traffic. It is a very busy site so it is difficult to get a responses that don't time out for some reason or other. When I registered Captcha was not in use...

A question posted here might get a single response or two. The the other may easily get more than a dozen responses.
Yes and of the dozen responses only one is useful, the "how many does it take to screw in a light bulb" routine.

Thankfully, this site is void of obtuse personality's. I come here because it is a breath of fresh air. This site works for me just as does another site that has low traffic.

IMHO this site is not broken in three places, this is the way it works....

YMMV

Chas
Chas
Chas

Back to top Go down

Post by Antiqueradios.com Forum on Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:41 am

Sorry. I won't argue. Just trying to be helpful. Best of luck to all.

Antiqueradios.com Forum

Back to top Go down

Post by CrystalRadioMan on Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:12 am

Antiqueradios.com Forum wrote:Sorry. I won't argue. Just trying to be helpful. Best of luck to all.

Just my opinion but, I don't think it is upstanding to log-on the this site using a "name" which promotes another site (this is what you are doing). This will just pull more members to look at another site.  I see it as a cheap and dirty trick!
CrystalRadioMan
CrystalRadioMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Antiqueradios.com Forum on Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:29 pm

Again, sorry, but the site wouldn't accept Alan Voorhees as a user name. Also wouldn't accept arf, and I thought having a generic Some Radio Guy type user name wasn't desirable. It also rejected every email address I use. It took me a couple of hours of trying in order get get an account in order to offer opinions which had been solicited, only to be told "we don't care, everything is fine as it is".

Yes, I.run the forum that's competition, but I don't need more members. As my site gets more popular it costs me more to run it. The hosting bill is over $1000 a month. When I have to upgrade next, it will be several hundred higher that that.

If this site can make a go of it, that would be helpful for me.

Forums don't work well with sections that only get one or maybe two posts a year. Making a complicated work around of having to install a different browser and set up tabs doesn't solve your problem.

For instance I don't understand why post war radios aren't included in the Antique Radio Discussions. Nor why the Transistor sets are there either.

One more thing, ReCAPTCHA is run by Google., the biggest Internet company in the world. The CAPTCHA challenges are not tyming out.

Antiqueradios.com Forum

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Hey, at least we have a little dialog going. The question is really how to make this site unique. You can't compete with ARF or the Philco Phorum in general. OK, you are friendly, well until you nuked two of my favorites on here for reasons I'm uncertain. Well with those two we lost some areas of interest. Without an area of focus, perhaps old phonos I don't see this as a viable forum. I will still check in but few do.
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by CrystalRadioMan on Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:53 pm

jerryhawthorne wrote:Hey, at least we have a little dialog going.  The question is really how to make this site unique.  You can't compete with ARF or the Philco Phorum in general.  OK, you are friendly, well until you nuked two of my favorites on here for reasons I'm uncertain.  Well with those two we lost some areas of interest.  Without an area of focus, perhaps old phonos I don't see this as a viable forum.  I will still check in but few do.
Best,  Jerry

Who were the 2 who left, maybe we can get them back!
CrystalRadioMan
CrystalRadioMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:09 pm

The two that Jerry is referring to were banned for repeatedly violating the forum rules by picking fights with the then moderators and other members of the forum. They wont be coming back.
Tony V
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by CrystalRadioMan on Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:33 pm

We that makes sense, I wouldn't have them back either. What happend to the mods you refer to?
CrystalRadioMan
CrystalRadioMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:41 pm

We still have a couple of the moderators including me but one went on to be an admin to take a load off of Bill Cahill since he is in poor health and the others just moved on. Overall we have a good bunch of people on here which require very little moderation so the need for a bunch of moderators is not needed.
Tony V
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Yesterday at 12:09 pm

Yes, I am visiting again today... No new topics (radio related) that I can answer to?

I could post about myself and my Wife taking the SouthCoast Artists Tour? We have made a commitment for work from one of the artists. I, am also looking at having portraits of my wife and I painted. We are undecided as to have portraits as we were at 16/17 or as we are now, as a couple or single.

Costs roughly 150/image up to 1200. Depends on the resolution. One of the artists is so detailed it is difficult to tell from a photograph, even inches away from the painting, that is the $$$$ one...
Anyone want to know more about this?

BTW, saw several demonstrations of block printing, interesting, not exacly screen printing but the though of printing to a panel would be intersting.

Also, this may warm your creativeness. In an ART tour last week, I met an artist whose husband owns a textile factory. We had quite a conversation. At one time I had many braiders and winders and had considered possible reproduction radio products. This factory makes flat braid products but as I was told there are some circular braiders in storage.

There is interest in making these operational for new products but there has to be a market. Something I will follow through in time...

What say You All?

Chas
Chas
Chas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down