Missin' Radio Shack

Go down

Missin' Radio Shack Empty Missin' Radio Shack

Post by terrydec on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Does anybody want 19 red LEDS? I had to buy 20 to get the one I wanted.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Missin' Radio Shack Empty Re: Missin' Radio Shack

Post by terrydec on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:54 pm

OUCH! These LEDs are projection, like in a pointer. I made the mistake of looking at it. Safety hint: NEVER look straight into a projection LED. Fix: I had to put a piece of black tape over the end.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:49 pm

This isn't going to work.  I've had to order a pack of 25 diffused on Amazon.  25 for $4.25.  That's 25 for about the same price I'd pay for one at Radio Shack.  What's wrong with this picture?
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Missin' Radio Shack, not me...

My experience with Radio-Shack is nothing but a long series of disappointments from shoddy components. Power diodes that short in use. Phone jacks with poor connections to the threaded bushing, half-dead batteries, hard drive power cable with 5 & 12 volts reversed. Coax cable and TV twin-lead with opens. Each one of these required a return trip, wasted time and money, delayed critical projects.

Fortunately, my need for electronic supplies in an R & D environment has gone away, then again so has Radio-Shack:)

Oh I did plan, all my components came from Digi-Key, Mouser, Newark, Allied and a few lesser others. Because an engineer will not plan ahead, Radio-Shack was a "fall-back". Then I got authorization for overnight shipments from the top three Smile

Now I have a bushel basket of carded components. I think I will flog them, someone might want to build a mock Radio-Shack store to re-live the "glory".

Chas
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:42 pm

That's weird that you had so much trouble.  My experience was the opposite of that.  I knew the guys and they sent a lot of repair and installation business my way.  And it is almost impossible to get a decent project box anywhere.
I'm really sorry to see them go.  I miss 'em.

I've been thinking that some smart entrepreneur should get their left over stock and sell online.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by WPE9IJF on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:39 pm

RS still has an on-line presence, and I've ordered from them several times. And from what I've read, "authorized radio shack dealers" are doing quite well. I guess that's because they don't have all of their eggs in one basket?

WPE9IJF

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2018-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:00 pm

Ah, So! Really? Can you point me to this magic spot. All I can do is buy parts, usually more than I want, off of eBay. I had a Radio Shack practically down the street. Since I do a lot of electronics, it was perfect.

Who remembers when you and your dad would go into the nearest RS and open up the drawer of the tube tester. Your dad would have a bag of tubes, which he would test on the tester. When one turned out bad, all you had to do was pull out that drawer, and match up the numbers. Evening's entertainment, not disturbed.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by WPE9IJF on Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:18 am

They've had free shipping on orders over $19 recently, not bad.  Here's the link: Radio Shack Parts

WPE9IJF

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2018-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Spivey on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:33 pm

I always enjoyed Radio Shack. Some stuff very good and some stuff not so much.

Spivey

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum