Signal tracer power indicator.

Go down

Signal tracer power indicator.

Post by terrydec on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:33 pm

I don't know if any of you remember my experience trying to replace my Micronta tester.  I tried building one and then spent $160 for one.  Then I found an exact replacement for $45.

The problem is that I keep forgetting to turn it off.  Since I only use Duracell batteries that can be expensive.  So, I'm going to mount a red LED on the front as an indicator.  I had done this on my old tester. I'll probably make a video of it.  I'm trying to figure out where to mount it.  Mounting it on the top will destroy the logo and look silly.  I'm thinking to the right of the control.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1121
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Signal tracer power indicator.

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:32 pm

Sounds like a good place, But I would suggest getting one that flashes, less battery consumption and more of a attention getter.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 920
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:40 pm

Resistance is Futile wrote:Sounds like a good place, But I would suggest getting one that flashes, less battery consumption and more of a attention getter.

That's a good suggestion, but I think that it would be kind of distracting while I'm using it.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:37 pm

I used to buy Duracell's also until they started to leak. I switched to Energizer Lithium's and have had no more leaks. They last longer also, at least for me.
Tony V

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:50 pm

I only use Duracell. They've been good for me.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by WPE9IJF on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:49 pm

terrydec wrote:I only use Duracell.  They've been good for me.
You've had a different and better outcome than me.  Duracell and Costco alkalines have ruined more devices than I care to remember.  So now, I either use Energizer alkalines (supposedly "leak proof" and so far, so good) or lithiums.

https://www.energizer.com/about-batteries/no-leaks-guarantee

On the power indicator light idea, I had a similar situation on a Heathkit IT-5211 signal tracer since I do not have a power supply unit for it so I only use it in the battery mode.  It's a lot bigger unit than the Radio Shack signal tracer, so the LED panel lamp fit right in and looks nice.  I used green, looks and works great.  Haven't forgotten to turn it off once since installing the light!

Last edited by WPE9IJF on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed indicator lamp terminology)

WPE9IJF

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2018-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down