Magnavox Provincial Serenade Restoration

Go down

Magnavox Provincial Serenade Restoration

Post by Knstorm on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:59 pm

Hi all,

I recently inherited a Magnavox cabinet with turntable and radio in it. I believe from some initial research it’s a provincial serenade. The radio feature works, but not the turn table, and I have no idea where to get started fixing it. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I’m located in Los Angeles.

Thanks in advance,
K

Knstorm

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2018-04-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Magnavox Provincial Serenade Restoration

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 am

Hi. Pictures, and, model numbers would help. That was a widely used n ame from the fourties through the sixties.
Pictures could be a big help.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4583
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Knstorm on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:45 pm

Here are some photos!

Last edited by Knstorm on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added images)

Knstorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:12 pm

Looks like a mid, to late fifties machine. Don't know who made the changer, but, it's an interesting model. I may be wrong, and, I hope I am, but, it looks as if the record spindle is broken. Is there a loose  piece hanging around??

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:32 pm

That is a Collaro changer and yes it appears that the spindle top is snapped off.
Tony V

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Knstorm on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Sorry to be totally clueless, what part am I looking at or for? Also there’s a cylindrical piece in the corner that has its own holster, what is that?

Knstorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:28 pm

It's the 45 rpm record adaptor. I believe the main spindle being broken will not allow the adaptor to work.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Knstorm on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:41 pm

Is the spindle the part sticking up in the center? If so, I took some close up photos. I've tried to compare this to similar images online and I can't see anything that's missing.

Knstorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:56 am

In the earlier pictures you posted it looked like the spindle was broken but the updated photo's show that it is fine. Does the platter turn at all either by hand or on its own power? Most of these old changers need the parts cleaned of old grease which gets hard and gums the changer up and new grease needs to be put on. Its not for the beginner as alot can go wrong fast if you don't know what your doing.
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by Knstorm on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:37 am

It turns by hand, but the switch on doesn't seem to work. I poked around underneath but it's tough to see what goes where so I can't really see if it's getting stuck somewhere. I'm pretty handy, if there's anything I should look for or anywhere to start with cleaning it, I would love to try.

Knstorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:51 pm

If it turns by hand then 9 times out of 10 the motor is gummed up and stuck. One way to tell is take the platter off and turn the changer on. If the motor shaft doesn't turn then its gummed up and will need to be taken apart, cleaned of old oil, new oil added and reassembled. If the motor shaft turns, then your idler wheel (the wheel that rides against the motor shaft) might be bad. Its hard to explain these things over the internet but we all will try our best to help you.
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by Knstorm on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Ok, I took the platter off and tried to turn it on. No luck. Here is what it looks like when it's standing:

And here is as I switch it to start.

So the metal arms move and it shifts the black disc over, but nothing else happens.

Also apologies, I have no idea what any of these parts are called so I am just referring to them as best I can. I am assuming the motor shaft is the little metal part sticking up between the two black discs. How do I get to that to clean it out?

Also, I see theres a little dent in one of the black discs from sitting against the metal part, will that need to be replaced?

Knstorm

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_ed01 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:40 pm

Top idler wheel turns the platter, lower wheel with the 'dent' is used during the 'reject-change cycling'.  Both idler wheels are available at www.thevoiceofmusic.com, got mine there .  I have the same Magnavox console and changer, which works fine after cleaning and lubing.  Try turning the motor by hand, if it doesn't turn freely, follow the instructions from Tony V above.  I do have PDF of the Sams manual for the changer if needed.  I'm using a Stanton 500 magnetic cartridge in mine, L & R channels paralleled for mono

mr_ed01

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Knstorm on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Got it, I think I need to remove and clean up the motor then. It turns by hand but barely. Are there any good guides to taking it out and apart? Does it come out from the top or bottom?

Knstorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:14 am

It comes loose from the bottom.
Tony V

Back to top Go down