radio parts

Go down

radio parts

Post by philco on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:00 am

Guys & Gals;
Newbee to the antique radio restoration world so bare with me if I don't know the terminology....

Picked up a Philco 1935 32L lowboy with missing parts... no speaker or transformer... power supply to apparently convert to 32 volts...
finding little info or pictures to find what I need to restore... any help, pictures or links is appreciated....

Regards,

Larry

philco

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: radio parts

Post by willy3486 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:49 am

More info at
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_32l3_farm_radio.html

At nostalgia air there is a philco 32, I wonder if the L is a production model and this could be the same. Look at it and see if it is similar.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/download.asp?FN=\M0013184.pdf

willy3486

Number of posts : 1424
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jukeboxman on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Welcome to TRF

jukeboxman
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:33 am

philco wrote:Guys & Gals;
Newbee to the antique radio restoration world so bare with me if I don't know the terminology....

Picked up a Philco 1935 32L lowboy with missing parts... no speaker or transformer... power supply to apparently convert to 32 volts...
finding little info or pictures to find what I need to restore... any help, pictures or links is appreciated....

Regards,

Larry
This radio is not a conversion but a 32 volt radio. You will need to find a Philco schematic online, it does not seem to appear in Riders. If the power (vibrator) transformer is missing or any other Philco specific part try Play Things of Past http://www.oldradioparts.com/

The speaker probably has an output transformer attached and may be of the field coil type. A 32 volt vibrator will be needed too. That said, the vibrator is a wear item, so a solid-state one may have to be engineered...

A suitable power source for 32 volts will be required. Some have found certain outboard printer power supplies will work as long as they have sufficient current.

This radio presents a triple challenge over just another Philco lowboy.

IMHO try to discover what other Philco model used the same cabinet in a 115vac chassis. The search for a chassis and speaker to fit...

Conversion of the chassis may be possible by evaluating every tube for its characteristics and an equivalent 6 volt tube. Depending which output tube chosen will determine the output transformer rating. Speaker field could be eliminated in the power supply design by use of a choke (recommended) or a resistor. The AC chassis may be so similar that replicating it would be an option.

I note that the 32 volt chassis uses an 84 tube this is a current light weight, Likely replacement could be the 80. Suitable new transformers can be determined by the total needs of the new tubes.

There "could" be chassis performance problems when completely converted, dial tracking, feedback come to mind.

If this is your first radio restoration, ummm, good luck...

I am 60 years into collecting. I would find another radio with fewer issues...

YMMV

Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down