Magnavox Concert Grand XST800S

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Magnavox Concert Grand XST800S

Post by Phonodude777 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:29 pm

I just picked this unit up last week and am trying to find pertinent schematics, etc. to do a complete restoration on this beautiful machine.  I will list the various components found in the console to see if anyone has any idea where I might get the correct data.

The S.N. is 2219567
Amps are labeled 82-01-11
Tuner/Preamp labeled 64-03-10
Multiplex unit 7002-00
Tuner Pwr supply 700832-1

The amps may be similar to other schematics I have but none call for the 5V3 single rectifier tube mine has.  There are a total of 8 6V6's, with 2 being for the treble amp and 6 in push pull for the bass channel.
My unit does NOT have the Phantom remote control or signal seeking tuner, nor the remote control receiver or any other functions associated with this.  I assume this unit must be from 1961 or later??  I notice the power transformer on the amps is a different part number than that used with the 5U4 duo tube unit so am supposing the voltages/current are slightly different on these two amps.  I restored an earlier CG a couple of years ago which used the duo 5U4's and had all original Magnavox tubes.  I didn't have to replace any tubes in that unit, however, it appears that the tubes in this unit will all require replacement as they read quite weak on a simple tester and one of the 5V3's is completely dead.  

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  I did read the complete dissertation on Wildcat's restoration and will use some of his hints on improving the bass response.  Thanks for that discussion.  He is a pro for sure.

Phonodude777

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Magnavox Concert Grand XST800S

Post by jukeboxman on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:50 pm

welcome to TRF lots of talent here --i'm sure someone will have the info you need
Gary

jukeboxman
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:20 am

Hi, and, welcome. I believe this unit to be approximately from 1964. Sams carries a lot of schematics on Magnavox units.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4548
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Phonodude777 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Yes, Bill, thanks for reply. I've scoured and looked but so far haven't been able to come up with a schematic for the AMP. Some very similar, but NONE that show the single 5V3 rectifier tube. I'm going to just look carefully at the units I have and order parts from that. I do believe there is a schematic for this because one was sold on ebay not too long ago from a seller in Florida. There will be others out there. I've gotten stuff from Steve Johnson too but so far haven't found the 82-01-11 drawing. Unfortunately, my unit is going to require all new tubes as well as e-caps, etc. I've never tried re-stuffing an e-can before but think I will try it on this restore.

Phonodude777

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:01 pm

Do you have any parts to spare? I need parts for an A-111, and, a 3 wire
wire antenna for tuner on same. PM me, please. Just asking here.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4548
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Magnavox 82-01-11 amp schematic desired.

Post by Phonodude777 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Still trying to find a schematic for the Magnavox 82-01-11 amplifier used in my recently acquired Concert Grand. It looks like this amp must have been a later version which used only one 5V3 rectifier tube vs. the two 5U4's used in earlier machines. There are a few component changes in my amps and modifications to the circuitry but nothing that should be a problem since everything seems to be intact with no burned components, etc. I still plan on replacing all out of tolerance resistors and the e-caps.

Another interesting thing I found in reviewing some of the factory service manual information sent to me was that the two bass channels actually used two different woofers. Channel one used a 50 oz. magnet, and channel two used a 35 oz. magnet. I'm thinking the reason for this was that you could also buy a separate speaker system for remote placement in the same room to give a wider image and that system may have included a larger woofer magnet?? Anyone else have any ideas on this? Maybe reviewing one of their catalogs for that era would be a clue. Also, recently I came across another CG on ebay that someone is trying to sell for $125. He does not really know what he has and the pictures he provided do not show the CG in its glory. No pictures of back so maybe amps have already been stripped?? I forget how I ran across his post but shouldn't be a problem finding it. I believe he's in NY somewhere.

Phonodude777

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:35 pm

Phonodude, although Wildcat does not visit here any longer he can be found at the antique radio forum under a different name. He always provides great info on the CG.
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Phonodude777 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks for this info. I had seen his previous chapter on the CG but didn't know he didn't visit this forum anymore. I'll try to find him on the other place.

Phonodude777

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top